Solved

RHV VM restore issue

• 18 October 2023
  • 8 comments

Hi, 

I was working with older version of veeam long ago and I remember I never had any issues with it, currently I am trying to set a backup and restore solution and I’m evaluating veeam with our Ovirt Node 4.5.4 infrastructure.
I did the setup step by step and later installed the RHV plugin and connected to the engine and got the proxy vm up and running 
I can setup backup jobs and all is good until this point, I do get a warning during backup but it finishes anyway, here is the error I get :
{VM-Name}: Image transfer URL is inaccessible: CURL error 6: Couldn't resolve host name, switching to the proxy URL

I tried to restore an VM and I am now getting this error and task fails:

10/18/2023 2:18:16 PM Error    {VM-Name}: Unable to write data block. Offset=0, Size=1048576 : CURL error 6: Couldn't resolve host name
10/18/2023 2:18:12 PM Error    {VM-Name}: Data transfer error
10/18/2023 2:18:12 PM Error    {VM-Name}: Unable to write data block. Offset=0, Size=1048576 : CURL error 6: Couldn't resolve host name

I don’t have a DNS server in my environment yet so I add the necessary host names to /etc/hosts file usually, That’s what I did to be able to connect the proxy to the windows machine and recognize the backup storage repository 

but I can’t find anywhere what should be added to which machine to be able to fix this error 
it doesn’t matter where I start the vm, either on the proxy or the window where I have veeam installed I get the same result. 

my windows machine is : Newton-18 - 172.28.1.18
my proxy is : Veeam-Backup-Proxy 172.28.1.64
my ovirt engine is : engineamd 172.28.1.219

all these are added to all 3 hosts file 
any help is appreciated 

icon

Best answer by arash.s 20 February 2024, 19:08

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This may sound odd, but is your Veeam server hostname added as well? And, are all your components (Proxy, Repo) hosts file updated with all hostnames/IPs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I find with hosts files you need to put them in this format to work properly -

hostname    IP address

IP address   hostname

Do this for all entries including your VBR infrastructure and see if that helps.

Thanks a lot @Chris.Childerhose  and @coolsport00  for answering quickly
above is what I have in the host file of all 3 systems now but the error still exists. 

where can I find this URL that throws this error ? I tried the logs but there are so many and I got overwhelmed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmm...not sure @arash.s . At this point, I recommend reaching out to Support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @arash.s -

Did you end up reaching out to Veeam Support for assistance? Were they able to help? Can you share what they did to get you working so others who encounter a similar issue may benefit?

Thank you.

Hi, 
Yes we finally got the issue figured out, so first thing first because I was not using a local dns server with my ovirt setup I ad to add all the involved parties (hosts, engine, proxy, vhb windows ,… ) added to the host files of each other in the same domain I was using for ovirt. 

2nd issue was the disk name of my vm was too long, this was a vm which had been cloned many time so the file name was really long, I stopped the VM and renamed the disk and this also was fixed. 

3rd issue was I was trying to write to a synology share which usually goes to standby and it takes couple of seconds until disks all spin up and are ready, this usually doesn’t time out when we try writing to it on the vms on oses we use but it was timing out on proxy and vhb windows. 

Only the first issue is what I asked in this thread but others came up and support team really helped pin pointing the issues and fixing them one by one, maybe this helps others as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great to hear you were able to resolve this and found other issues to fix.  👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That is a great summary @arash.s . Thank you for sharing what Support did for your issue!

Comment