Solved

Restore files from backup incremental to another location

Userlevel 2

Hello everyone, 

I need to restore “incremental backup” to another “new server” on the network.

I have “export disk” to VHD from backup the “old server” and attach this disk to “new server”.

In this moment I need to restore “incremental backup” to “new server”.

Is this possible?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 24 June 2021, 16:41

View original

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Vinicius Silva - the export you did is that the backup drive of the Veeam server or which “export disk” is it?

You would need the backup files to be able to import them in to a new Veeam server then you can restore once imported.

More details and we can assist you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Vinicius Silva ..as Chris mentioned, we need a bit more clearer info to assist you better. If you’re just wanting to know about a VM Disk in Hyper-V (I assume, based on .vhd you stated), then yes..you can. Just follow the VM Disk Restore wizard, as shown in the Hyper-V Guide here. If this is for the Veeam Server...then we need to know that. Again...just needing a bit more clearer and detailed info.

Cheers!

Userlevel 2

@Chris.Childerhose This is scenario is “File Server” migration

I did export disk option restore “old server” (file server) and attached on “new server” (file server).

I think use restore “incremental backup” to “new server” (file server) to “merge” information only modify.

I dont know is correct, but I think is a way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Vinicius Silva ...then yes, you can do this. Just select the Incremental restore point in the VM Files Restore wizard, then the location you want it to go. I believe the link I provided should give you all the details you need. Let us know if not.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you exported the disk and attached it to the Virtual Machine then you should see the drive in Windows to copy over your data.  Unless I am misreading this there is no reason to “restore” anything if you did it this way.

If you are looking to restore then you would restore files from Veeam from the restore point from the old server to the new server itself.

If I am incorrect let me know but exporting a disk is easy as you attach it to the VM and it will show in Explorer for you to copy files off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Vinicius Silva ...then yes, you can do this. Just select the Incremental restore point in the VM Files Restore wizard, then the location you want it to go. I believe the link I provided should give you all the details you need. Let us know if not.

Cheers!

This could be it too and something to check.

Userlevel 2

@coolsport00 I will explain better:

SCENARIO:

Old Server (File server) - Physical

• Disk (1.8TB)  - Export Disk (VHD)

New Server (File server) - VM on Hyper-V

• Disk (1.8TB) - Attached “Export Disk (VHD)” from Old Server

My question is possible restore only “incremental backup” over “New Server” with attached disk (VHD). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Ohhh...ok. So, you wanna go from a phys to a VM? The only way I can think of to do this is install the Veeam Windows Agent on the physical server. Backup the data on the Data disk, then restore it to a data virtual disk on your VM.

@Chris.Childerhose ?...other thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you have attached the disk to the new “File Server” then you would need a tool that can run a compare from this disk to the old or current disk - then you can copy the required files/folders over.

The other option is now that the drive is attached to the new server why not just use the drive as the data drive instead of all the hard work?

Userlevel 2

@Chris.Childerhose 

If you have attached the disk to the new “File Server” then you would need a tool that can run a compare from this disk to the old or current disk - then you can copy the required files/folders over.

Yes, for example “robocopy”?

I think use Veeam is more easy, but in this case I dont have option to used Veeam to compare and restore only “change folders and files”, Correct?

The other option is now that the drive is attached to the new server why not just use the drive as the data drive instead of all the hard work?

Correct, but the restore of disk export is more slow over the network, because of this, I did restore in the last weekend and now I need only merge information last week on “new server” and cut over “old server”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just a few thought about this:

• is the old service sunset after the migration of the data disk or does it keep running?
  • if it is sunset, then where are the incremental backups coming from?
  • If it is not sunset, you are speaking from getting the changes on the old server to the new one. What is with the changes on the new one?
  • if they are running both wouldn’t it be easier to establish a synchronization between the two file server? And setup a backup of one of the file servers with Veeam?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose

Yes, for example “robocopy”?

I think use Veeam is more easy, but in this case I dont have option to used Veeam to compare and restore only “change folders and files”, Correct?

Correct, but the restore of disk export is more slow over the network, because of this, I did restore in the last weekend and now I need only merge information last week on “new server” and cut over “old server”.

Yeah Robocopy can do what you need and would be fast for sure.

Userlevel 2

@JMeixner

The better way is your tip synchronization between servers.

Thank you guys. @Chris.Childerhose @coolsport00 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Glad you’re sorted @Vinicius Silva .

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Glad my questions have helped you :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@JMeixner

The better way is your tip synchronization between servers.

Thank you guys. @Chris.Childerhose @coolsport00 

You are more than welcome and hope this helped.

Comment