Solved

Restore a VBO backup from a Veeam Agent job

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello guys,

To implement the 3-2-1-1-0 golden rule with Veeam Backup for Office 365 I have the following configuration:
On an onpremise repository I backup my Organization on a specific partition with VBO for MS365

I created a specific Veeam Agent job in my VBR to backup this specific partition on a SOBR with an immutable bucket.

I thought that it would be possible to restore directly from this backup to Exchange Online , etc like mentionned here :https://forums.veeam.com/post414246.html#p414246

But I dont have the same options... If I try to used the Application Items, i selection my restore point but nothing show up in the broswer

Any idea?

Regards

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 8 August 2022, 16:22

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I assume you are referring to the Agent backup which would not restore the same way due to it being a backup VBK/VIB file.  You would need to bring this back then use the VBO console to get the restore options like that forum post.  Hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I also noticed the same behaviour when backing up VBO via an agent. A VM based backup on the other hand will show you all application restore options. What should work in this case, is doing a file level restore of the agent backup, select application afterwards and manualy broswe the corresponding adb database.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes I m using the Agent Backup. I don’t backup all the physical server but only a volume. The guest application processing is enabled.

So if I want to restore from this backup I have to restore all the folders in a repository first?
@Mildur told me it was possible to do it directly: https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-for-microsoft-365-f47/vbo-and-archives-t79103.html
Maybe I miss urderstood something.

On my side I tried to restore Microsoft Exchange:

The explorer open the session but nothing show up

I wanted to add manually the database,

I found in the FLR folder the files 

But I finish with this following error message:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What version is the OS of the backup server vs the O365 box?  Just wondering as that points to the issue with the error you see and as per this forum post - (1) the specified database cannot be opened on this os version - Veeam R&D Forums

I know the post is for an older version of Veeam but should still pertain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

My VBR it’s a Windows Server 2019. I don’t know how to check the O365 mailbox version…
My Repository and VBO server are the same server with a Windows Server 2022.

I think that the problem comes from here.

I made a new test:

• I lauched the restore process from my VBR
  • From my VBO/Repo, I executed the Exchange Explorer and tryed to access to the Veeam FLR Folder by the network.
    I dont get the OS error:

The recover loaded my files and I m able to see my mailbox, the folders strucures.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My VBR it’s a Windows Server 2019. I don’t know how to check the O365 mailbox version…
My Repository and VBO server are the same server with a Windows Server 2022.

I think that the problem comes from here.

I made a new test:

• I lauched the restore process from my VBR
  • From my VBO/Repo, I executed the Exchange Explorer and tryed to access to the Veeam FLR Folder by the network.
    I dont get the OS error:

The recover loaded my files and I m able to see my mailbox, the folders strucures.

Very nice and glad it worked.  I think the OS difference or even the explorers maybe between VBO and VBR servers were different.  Glad it worked out this way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes I found a solution !
Now I ll try to find something less tricky. I think that I ll install the VBR console on my VBO/Repo, in this case the FLR folder will be on my VBO/Repo right?

For information The version of  my Veeam Explorer in VBR

In the VBO

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes I found a solution !
Now I ll try to find something less tricky. I think that I ll install the VBR console on my VBO/Repo, in this case the FLR folder will be on my VBO/Repo right?

For information The version of  my Veeam Explorer in VBR

In the VBO

Yeah to put the VBR console on the VBO server the FLR would be there when using it but you could end up breaking the Explorers doing that since they are different for VBO vs VBR. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That's interesting as I didn't know that there's a dependency on the OS running the explorer. Thanks for providing the answer 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@regnor

The jet database engine is different between each Windows OS version or sometimes even between each OS build. It‘s not special application from veeam. We use the one windows provides.

So the Machine with the VBR Console must have the same OS build or higher and addionally, the VB365 Explorers must be installed on this system.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_installing_explorers_for_tenants.html?ver=60

Comment