Solved

Replica Seeding

Userlevel 1

Hello All,

I have a case i’m working on it 

customer has DC in cloud provider site and needs to move it to new DC 

he can’t make backup throw WAN because of traffic costs 

so we offers to get storage and put it in the cloud provider site and create second copy to it 

then 

move the storage to the new place and create replica seeding and make planned failover and commit the failover 

any suggestion recommendation? 

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 9 February 2022, 23:43

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That’s a good plan.

Depending on the distance between the sites, use Instant VM Recovery to confirm the backups are good before you ship them potentially hundreds of miles away! 🙂

Is there a site-to-site link? Either VPN or MPLS etc? If the sites can’t talk via private IP addresses you’ll have issues as Veeam Backup & Replication won’t be expecting NAT to be performed.

Userlevel 1

Thank you Micool for highlight this important point.

yes there’s MPLS connection as we will configure a reverse replication after moving to the new site. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You’ll be fine then.

If you’re planning on replicating back in the longer term, you may wish to use the WAN Accelerator components.

This helps in both bandwidth constrained and non-bandwidth constrained environments and can improve WAN efficiency

Note: Please don’t read this as improved speeds, WAN Accelerators are heavily dependent on compute available and a fast and large cache to be a better option than just more WAN bandwidth, plus if your data is highly changing and non-reusable, you’ll find that you won’t be seeing much of a reduction in WAN/MPLS bandwidth consumed vs just natively sending. In summary, your mileage will vary!

Userlevel 1

Thank you Micool for the precious advices i considers this. 

Comment