Skip to main content
Solved

question on guest os processing

been doing backups of our vcenter vms to disk for some time now.  just tried out the application aware processing and several VMs reported erros like “cannot find linux guest credentials” or “unbale to perform guest file system indexing”.

am I right to think this means the VM was not backup up to disk, and I need to turn off applicaiton aware processing until I have correct credentials on those VMs?

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

been doing backups of our vcenter vms to disk for some time now.  just tried out the application aware processing and several VMs reported erros like “cannot find linux guest credentials” or “unbale to perform guest file system indexing”.

am I right to think this means the VM was not backup up to disk, and I need to turn off applicaiton aware processing until I have correct credentials on those VMs?

The disks will back up but you need to enter the credentials for Linux for the App-Aware processing for those VMs.  If you don’t have them turn it off until you do then you can even test them as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Application Aware Processing details - Application-Aware Processing - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Was the status of the VMs a warning or failed? You can set AAP to try and ignore failures or require success. You can disable AAP on a pet VM basis, handy if you’re enforcing AAP at the job level, until you work through the failures due to missing credentials

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@captain-james-t-kirk Please be aware that by default no backup will be created in case of an error in application aware processing. As @MicoolPaul wrote you tell Veeam to ignore failures and in that case the VM will still be processed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@captain-james-t-kirk Please be aware that by default no backup will be created in case of an error in application aware processing. As @MicoolPaul wrote you tell Veeam to ignore failures and in that case the VM will still be processed.

This is a critical step when configuring new backup job, specifically when I backup multiple OS’s.  For instance, my basic jobs may be backing up Windows VM’s, but also Linux appliances used for VOIP, vCenter, DNS filtering, etc.  I supply Windows credentials for the Windows VM’s and then disable Application processing for the linux VM’s that don’t need guest processing.  Alternatively, I could have two jobs, one without application processing for those that don’t need it, and one for those VM’s that I do want application processing enabled.  Typically pretty simple to setup, but if that step is forgotten in my case, then it will cause backup failures on those where the supplied credentials don’t apply.  Or, in the case of Windows boxes where errors are occurring due to things like VSS errors due to Hyper-V integration, old backup applications causing errors, etc, then I will disable AAP for that specific VM to get a good baseline image in the meantime until I can get things sorted out and AAP is able to be implemented successfully.

Comment