Ok need help here. ZERTO VS VEEAM CDP

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I am making a plan to try and get Veeam CDP introduced. I have used Zerto but have only used Veeam CDP in labs so far. Does anyone here have production experience with both? I am not looking for a “just boost Veeam” answer 😁. I love Veeam but honesty is always best so if there a things that still need working on with Veeam CDP no issues. 

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do believe there are some in the Community who do indeed use it (sorry, I do not). If you don’t get enough, or the ‘right’ kind of, responses...I’d reach out to Tim Smith, Geoff. Architect there with Veeam who I do believe has a customer base who uses it. He could probably give you some real-world insights.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have only used CDP in lab environments so far as we use Zerto as our main product.  Not sure I could convince anyone to change to be honest since Zerto is further ahead in this aspect.  I would love to see Veeam catch up though with CDP.  But from what I have seen when using CDP even in the lab it worked very well the most finicky part was the filter drivers to install on the hosts especially after an upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes the Filter install involved some fiddling with Vsphere I remember.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I have CDP running in production for three VM’s, two SQL servers and an accounting application server.  It sure has it’s nuances.  To me, one of the more painful parts is updating the filter driving and it wanting to put my hosts into maintenance mode at the same time.  That said, that was a v11 issue, and I’ve been told that it’s better in v12, but I haven’t updated the IO filter drivers yet on v12.

I have no experience with Zerto to compare with.  I actually would have more experience with VMware replication, except the last time I deployed SRM, 6 years ago, we were using storage-based replication and not VM-level replication.

Is there anything specific about CDP that you’d like to know based on my experience?  Mine probably isn’t the best tweaked solution, but it works pretty well for the time I’ve put into it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Folks,

I am making a plan to try and get Veeam CDP introduced. I have used Zerto but have only used Veeam CDP in labs so far. Does anyone here have production experience with both? I am not looking for a “just boost Veeam” answer 😁. I love Veeam but honesty is always best so if there a things that still need working on with Veeam CDP no issues. 

@Geoff Burke What information do you need for Zerto? I can help you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Geoff Burke Below are the comparison of Veeam and Zerto.

Comparison of Veeam VDRO and other solutions

https://wuchikin.wordpress.com/2021/12/02/comparison-of-veeam-vdro-and-other-solutions/

Comparison of Veeam CDP and other products

https://wuchikin.wordpress.com/2021/03/21/comparison-of-veeam-cdp-and-other-products/

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Geoff BurkeBelow are the comparison of Veeam and Zerto.

Comparison of Veeam VDRO and other solutions

https://wuchikin.wordpress.com/2021/12/02/comparison-of-veeam-vdro-and-other-solutions/

Comparison of Veeam CDP and other products

https://wuchikin.wordpress.com/2021/03/21/comparison-of-veeam-cdp-and-other-products/

Really great articles and comparison by Victor for sure.  👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I use SRM and storage based replication. Also has benefits along with downsides. One being Global Mirror with Change Volumes. It makes expanding SAN volumes difficult as you to break the relationship, expand at both sides and resync.  

That being said, zero issues with this in many years and it just works, stable, nothing to update, and the amount I have to do that is minimal if you plan appropriately.  

I’m currently testing Veeam replication and CDP on one or 2 test VM’s and it’s working good. The filter is easy to install, but I did come across one issue uninstalling when things got in a funky state and had to have VMware support assist me to do some manual deletion. 

Veeam CDP has come a long way, and I think it’s going to be good to supplement SRM for me, along with replication on some of my less critical VM’s. 

I’m lucky we have SQL always on and a second site to offload that to the DB guys. I’m looking into using azure now to replicate my VM’s to avoid second ESXI licenses at the other site for absolutely everything. 

I have never used Zerto, but SRM has been around a long time, and the stability can’t really be beat. due to the price of everything though I’m now looking at uprooting our whole infrastructure potentially and starting it from the ground up to make it scalable and more cost efficient. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

@Geoff BurkeWhat information do you need for Zerto? I can help you.

Hi Victor, Basically wanted to hear from anyone using both Zerto and the new Veeam CDP to Cloud Connect. Essentially as I understand it those two products are effectively competing in the same arena now. Zerto has been around for much longer on the CDP side and leverages its own proprietary driver so there are some interesting nuances. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Folks,

Hi Victor, Basically wanted to hear from anyone using both Zerto and the new Veeam CDP to Cloud Connect. Essentially as I understand it those two products are effectively competing in the same arena now. Zerto has been around for much longer on the CDP side and leverages its own proprietary driver so there are some interesting nuances. 

I try to find some useful information for your reference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

Thanks. My main interest is a comparison. I have quite a bit of experience with Zerto. I had forgotten this until I was presented with a production system again :) . There are things that I like and things that I don’t. Again Veeam CDP going into Cloud Connect I have not seen yet “In Production” hence my interest. I have done this in a lab but as you all know Labs can be very docile and well behaved but when you venture into the wild spaces of production, that is when you see the real deal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Folks,

Thanks. My main interest is a comparison. I have quite a bit of experience with Zerto. I had forgotten this until I was presented with a production system again :) . There are things that I like and things that I don’t. Again Veeam CDP going into Cloud Connect I have not seen yet “In Production” hence my interest. I have done this in a lab but as you all know Labs can be very docile and well behaved but when you venture into the wild spaces of production, that is when you see the real deal.

@Geoff Burke I can request the remote lab (with limited time) for you. Do you need ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

@Geoff Burke I can request the remote lab (with limited time) for you. Do you need ?

sure. I did not know they had them. thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Folks,

@Geoff Burke Which lab do you want to try? You can only access it within 2.5 to 3 hours after the lab is ready. Please tell me when will you need it, share your personal email address to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

@Geoff Burke Which lab do you want to try? You can only access it within 2.5 to 3 hours after the lab is ready. Please tell me when will you need it, share your personal email address to me.

Hi Victor,

It turns out I have access to these. I am still new at my job and we have Zerto. The Zerto support guy reached out to me the other day (turns out he remembered me from my old place of work). I was very careful at first because since I last worked with him I became a Veeam Legend and Vanguard so thought he might have the hit squad out to get me 😃but he was fine. I am going to go through some of the ones I have not tried. I might have a new Veeam CDP cloud connect customer soon so will be able to answer my own question about how that particular form of Veeam replication compares to Zerto. I will get back to everyone about that when and if it happens.

Comment