Solved

Nutanix AHV to Non Nutanix VMWare/Hyper-V replication

Userlevel 2

Hi,

We have a requirement of setting up a DR for VM’s running on Nutanix AHV to VMWare / Hyper-V running on HP server. Is this possible with Veeam ? Customer is using Veeam enterprise plus license. 

Please advise the possibilities.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 20 April 2022, 16:21

View original

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @san

Replication from Nutanix AHV to any other Hypervisor is not possible.

But you can start an Instant Recovery Session from AHV Backups to vSPhere or HyperV, if you want to migrate the vms to another hypervisor.

Performing Instant Recovery of Workloads to VMware vSphere - Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV User Guide

Performing Instant Recovery of Workloads to Hyper-V - Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV User Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Appreciate @Mildur has already answered the core question here, one suggestion I always make to people that are planning any migrations or DR to alternative hypervisor platforms is to pre-install the integration tools (VMware Tools or Hyper-V integration tools if an old enough OS), this will save time and potentially complexity on the restoration process!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Mildur Thanks for your information. I will try it in my lab environment.

This is something very cool!
I love VMware vSphere, I've been using it for many years, and I love the way it works, interact and manage things.
Veeam Integration with vSphere is always a plus! omg!
Now Im interested in AHV, I've been reading a bit and sounds like all the “really cool” things of vsphere, all mixed together in a new Hypervisor.

Restoring Veeam Backups in different hypervisors, its just amazing.

some time I had to struggle with nics that the Mac address changed and the centos didn't like it, so forced as a new one, loosing the fixed IP address, but not a big deal!

Userlevel 2

Hi @san

But you can start an Instant Recovery Session from AHV Backups to vSPhere or HyperV, if you want to migrate the vms to another hypervisor.

Performing Instant Recovery of Workloads to VMware vSphere - Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV User Guide

Performing Instant Recovery of Workloads to Hyper-V - Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV User Guide

Hi Mildur, Thanks for your input. But our Veeam also running on Nutanix AHV. So iam worried if something happens to whole Nutanix, what can be done for instant recovery ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @san

Hi Mildur, Thanks for your input. But our Veeam also running on Nutanix AHV. So iam worried if something happens to whole Nutanix, what can be done for instant recovery ?

You’d need to recover/redeploy VBR to orchestrate your recovery. So I’d suggest running VBR outside of the fault domain you’re trying to protect. If you don’t have a suitable DR site, consider a site-to-site VPN to a cloud provider and run VBR there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MicoolPaul is right here.

The Backup Server and backup storage should not depend on the production environment to run. If you have a requirement for low RTO times, make sure that your backup server survive a nutanix ahv failure.

A dedicated physical machine could be one of the options.  Or what Michael has recommended. 

Quick question. Can we do the instant recovery vice versa (from VMWare to AHV)?

or maybe, is it possible to do replication from VMware to AHV now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @fanwar i’d suggest raising your own topic in future to help guide others with the same question.

Yes you can, read all about it here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/van/userguide/instant_recovery_ahv.html?ver=30 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I assume all this above still holds true for Veeam 12? 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Still true.

No cross hypervisor replication available.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Mildur Thanks. you are the Ferrari of the Forums!! Speed.

I think I will propose backups then the ability to restore to Vsphere. Then the Vsphere vms could be restored back into Nutanix if I understand this correctly. Not replication but a type of Warm site DR. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Haha :)

Yes, backup and restore is the way to go. Cross hypervisor restore is already possible via Instant Recovery. 

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Also I take it VM restore/Instant restore from Cloud Connect is not possible?

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Geoff Burke 

Instant Recovery of machines to Nutanix AHV from a cloud connect repository is possible since v12.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

ah ok but what about from a cloud backup copy job to vsphere to Nutanix. In the end I exported the vm from the backup and then took the vbk down to a local VBR server and performed the instant restore v2v there and worked fine but when trying from Cloud Connect the option was greyed out. I looked in the docs :) but missed it. 

cheers

Comment