Solved

NFS datastore mount on venter datastore.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi Team,

Actually, we restored one VM through instance recovery and it’s completed successfully, but one NFS datastore mounted on vCenter datastore. why? and one more thing if it is mount then after should be delete automatically? why it is deleted manually?

is there any option available to avoid mounting or delete automatically.    

icon

Best answer by dloseke 26 May 2024, 18:43

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Keshav Sawant - this behavior with NFS Datastores happens occasionally. Veeam should remove the datastore after completion of the IR recovery job automatically, but sometimes it doesn't. You can leave it & it won't hurt anything, or you can remove it manually. It's not connected to all Hosts in a Cluster but just 1 you chose during the IR restore wizard. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you walked through the IR steps where you performed the restore and then migrated to production within Veeam, at the conclusion of the migration, it should remove the NFS mount.  If you cancelled the IR and didn’t migrate the VM, it should remove the NFS mount.  If you performed the IR but migrated the VM outside of Veeam, there may be a restore job still running that you can cancel.  If it’s not there, I’d remove the NFS mount from your host.  Also, if you cancel the job and for some reason it’s still not removed, I’d remove manually.

While there’s not a huge issue with leaving it there, it’s unnecessary clutter and if the host(s) are still looking for that mount, for instance during a reboot, it could cause unnecessary delay.  The same thing happens when VMFS datastores are removed incorrectly from a host as the host still will have records of that volume being there and will try to connect to it.  For sure, if you’re no longer using it, I’d clean it up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Actually the NFS datastore always stays mounted on the target host, until you reboot the mount server our disconnect it manually. It's not an issue, but you can manually unmount and disconnect it after successfully restoring a VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Really?  I’m almost certain that after migrating to production, the restore job completes and the NFS mount is removed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@dloseke Yes, that’s the expected behavior and it’s also documented in the Helpcenter. To be sure I also just tried it in my lab, and the NFS datastore stayed connected after finalizing the Instant Recovery 😊

Userlevel 3

@dloseke Yes, that’s the expected behavior and it’s also documented in the Helpcenter. To be sure I also just tried it in my lab, and the NFS datastore stayed connected after finalizing the Instant Recovery 😊

Same behaviour here in my production environment V12.1.0.2131

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Well, I stand corrected!  😀

Userlevel 5
Badge

I never saw the NFS Datastore getting removed even after migrating to production environment. I believe this is by design. I think there is a reason for not being deleted automatically since the same folder(Created NFS Datastore) could be used by multiple nodes concurrently and it could be re-used next time the user creates IVM using same folder.

Helpcenter says the same.

The vPower NFS datastore stays mounted to the ESXi host. Each time you start an operation from the list, Veeam Backup & Replication checks whether vPower NFS datastore is mounted to the host. If you manually unmounted the datastore or the datastore was unmounted by other causes, Veeam Backup & Replication remounts the datastore.

Comment