Solved

New VBR Server - From V11 to V12 - Transfer of License

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello Forum,

I have question about few things so that I make the change as smooth as possible.
The plan is to create everything from scratch because our current configuration is really awful and time for change has come.

Current Situation is like this:

• VBR V11 on Hyper-V VM
  • Subscription: Enterprise Plus
  • Instances: 20 (13 used)
  • Inventory:
    • 1 Hyper-V Cluster 
    • 2 Standalone Hosts

Now I need to remove everything from this server and to transfer the license to the new one

Questions:

• How to transfer the license?
  • How to properly remove Inventory so that I don’t have problem when adding it to a new V12 VBR server?
    • I know that few folks had problems when attempting to add the hosts to new VBR, something stuck on the old VBR etc.
  • I will not do a configuration backup because I want everything from scratch.

Please feel free to write any other recommendations that I need to take care off.
I did it one year ago but I would need the help from Veeam Legends to do it the propper way this time 😁

icon

Best answer by Rick Vanover 10 November 2023, 15:12

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Really this is rather easy @NemanjaJanicic → Here are a few steps from my PoV:

• Step 0. If the config is ugly - you are smart to not take the configuration backup.
  • Step 1 - Find the license on your existing server (search filesystem for *.lic or go into the customer portal http://cp.veeam.com )
  • Step 2 - Think about your repository (or plural) - are you doing something new? There maybe some questions there.
  • Build a new Veeam system, Win 10/11 or Server for this size is fine. Do updates, make sure latest OS.
  • Install Veeam B&R V12 and install the patch - see the upgrade center: http://vee.am/v12upgradecenter 
    • Make sure you take the new default, the Postgres Database - this is a good thing long term for you. 
    • If you were to upgrade what you have - it would stay on SQL, this new option is more efficent.
  • Set up your repositories. Maybe now is the time to think about the VHR? http://vee.am/vhrhub 
  • Rebuild the jobs, I can’t see a need for more than a few jobs. Build it by host or cluster rather than a list of VMs.
  • Once all of this is set - turn off the old system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Rick Vanover Thank you Rick for great explanation of the steps to take.

Yes, the current sitaution was that we have our Synology NAS’s connected as SMB repo, now I would conenct them via iSCSI to Windows Servers and then add it as repo to the VBR.

For VHR I have in plan for our air-gapped Synology NAS that we have.
We will install an VHR to the VM if we dont find any good hardware that we have at the moment and add Synology NAS as storage to it.

Bakcup Plan is:

• Backups via iSCSI with FastClone feature to Primary Synology NAS
  • Backup Copy Jobs over WAN Accelerators to Synology NAS on second location, also iscsi and fastclone if possible
  • VHR for air-gapped with immutable backups.

This will be a lot of improvement that current situation that we have.
If there is some more advices I’m here to listen to them 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The best answer you already have by Rick.

Additionally, thinking about the rebuild of your backups jobs I recommend you to find a pattern to the name of these jobs.

I suggest you: Nomenclature of Backup Jobs | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes, the current sitaution was that we have our Synology NAS’s connected as SMB repo, now I would conenct them via iSCSI to Windows Servers and then add it as repo to the VBR.

We will install an VHR to the VM if we dont find any good hardware that we have at the moment and add Synology NAS as storage to it.

Bakcup Plan is:

• Backup Copy Jobs over WAN Accelerators to Synology NAS on second location, also iscsi and fastclone if possible

I really recommend you to connect the iSCSI on a Linux system instead of Windows. You can use the immmutabilty on this Linux with XFS filesystem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Bakcup Plan is:

I like that you are ending up with 3-2-1-1-0 → Just think of where the VHR will sit. I recommend it as close to production as possible as restore speeds will be best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The best answer you already have by Rick.

Additionally, thinking about the rebuild of your backups jobs I recommend you to find a pattern to the name of these jobs.

I suggest you: Nomenclature of Backup Jobs | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Very good shout on clear names for jobs...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Rick Vanover 

One more question:

• What is the best way to connect our Synology NAS to VHR?
    Should be connected via ISCSI as XFS volume or?

Still a bit newbie for Veeam so Its good to ask 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Bakcup Plan is:

I really recommend you to connect the iSCSI on a Linux system instead of Windows. You can use the immmutabilty on this Linux with XFS filesystem.

@wolff.mateus 

Hello Mateus,

I plan to do this for our air-gapped Synology NAS.

For Primary and Secodnary we would like to use Windows hosts for iSCSI.
Is this setup a bad idea or?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Bakcup Plan is:

@wolff.mateus 

Hello Mateus,

I plan to do this for our air-gapped Synology NAS.

For Primary and Secodnary we would like to use Windows hosts for iSCSI.
Is this setup a bad idea or?

I really hate Windows repository. I think that this option have so many vulnerabilities that I prefer to cut it off. Linux is more sucure to save backup in my opinion.

But for this, you need the knowledge to how to connect iSCSI on Linux. If you are a newbie on these steps, I recommend to made some homelabs to understand all concept.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The best way is direct attached storage to a server.  As a VM or as a LUN is an additional attack surface. 

That being said, if you have to do a LUN have it as absolutely isolated as possible. I’ve seen some people put managed power devices in the mix for keeping network connection to other networks offline.

Comment