New B&R server: 2022 vs 2019

• 8 November 2021
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 3
  • Comes here often
  • 9 comments

Hello,

as management finally has approved the founds we will upgrade our fileserver and backup structure both in hardware and software. Delivery and configuration is foreseen in ~ 2 weeks.

The main server to be backed up will hold our fileserver with ~ 8TB and several smaller VMs (linux and windows). The B&R server will be on a seperate machine and inside a VM. The Hyper-V core is planned with Server 2022. Is there a risk of using Server 2022 for the B&R VM (after v11a release of course)? Is ReFS the best choice for the filesystem?

BR

Frank

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I would install the VBR Management Server in the VM with Windows Server 2022.

For the physical backup Server, i recommend to go with ubuntu and use the new feature Linux Hardened Repo with xfs as a filesystem for FastClone Support.

Hardened Repository - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the guidance on the server 2022 issue.

The hardened repository is not excluded. Unfortunately that would requires another machine. It was cheaper to put more HDD into the second machine. And this machine would then also be capable of restoring the VM from backup if the main server fails.

Addiionally I’l take 1 or 2 old servers and will put a short backup chain using the linux hardened repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello,

as management finally has approved the founds we will upgrade our fileserver and backup structure both in hardware and software. Delivery and configuration is foreseen in ~ 2 weeks.

The main server to be backed up will hold our fileserver with ~ 8TB and several smaller VMs (linux and windows). The B&R server will be on a seperate machine and inside a VM. The Hyper-V core is planned with Server 2022. Is there a risk of using Server 2022 for the B&R VM (after v11a release of course)? Is ReFS the best choice for the filesystem?

BR

Frank

Yes if the 2022 install is new and not an upgrade it would be recommended with the enhancements to the ReFS system.  As noted by Mildur the hardened repositiory if able to as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The thing is: does make sense to set up a hyperv structure in 2022 with the awareness that the hyperv project already has a deadline of 2029 and no new version will be published?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-insiders/hyper-v-server-2022/m-p/2679949

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The thing is: does make sense to set up a hyperv structure in 2022 with the awareness that the hyperv project already has a deadline of 2029 and no new version will be published?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-insiders/hyper-v-server-2022/m-p/2679949

I would say no based on that post as 2019 Hyper-V is the last one in the OS and then you need to transition to Azure.  Might as well start on that or go with 2019 for Hyper-V.

Userlevel 3

I would say no based on that post as 2019 Hyper-V is the last one in the OS and then you need to transition to Azure.  Might as well start on that or go with 2019 for Hyper-V.

2029 is outside of my horizon, so that’s not an issue for me. And Azure is a totally different field where I still have no clue about.

Userlevel 3

Hello,

BR

Frank

Yes if the 2022 install is new and not an upgrade it would be recommended with the enhancements to the ReFS system.  As noted by Mildur the hardened repositiory if able to as well.

This might be a very stupid idea but not that I’m overlooking something. Are the following szenarios possible (and recommended)?

Backup server as a physical machine

B&R as a VM (with no storage space)

1. additional Windows VM on the same physical server just as a storage VM
  2. additional Linux VM on the same physical server as hardened repository

I have the feeling that even these configurations are possible there are not best practise.

BR

Frank

Userlevel 7
Badge +12
  1. additional Linux VM on the same physical server as hardened repository

Really easy to delete all of your backups. Just delete the vm (and the windows vm) with all virtual disks. And you have nothing :)

You must protect your backup repository. There should be no reason to let the management interfaces open. 

This should be your linux hardened repo.
Ubuntu installed directly on the hardware. Protected behind firewalls. No management interface reachable from any system. Only the few Ports veeam needs to operate.

Userlevel 3
  1. additional Linux VM on the same physical server as hardened repository

Really easy to delete all of your backups. Just delete the vm (and the windows vm) with all virtual disks. And you have nothing :)

You must protect your backup repository. There should be no reason to let the management interfaces open. 

This should be your linux hardened repo.
Ubuntu installed directly on the hardware. Protected behind firewalls. No management interface reachable from any system. Only the few Ports veeam needs to operate.

Understood. It seems that I just needed to know the full stupidity.

Comment