Skip to main content
Solved

Network path not found incorrect credentials supplied - Veeam 12

Hyper V environment-Active Directory/Domain

Veeam 12 is on VM1 on my domain pc

Backup repository is a VM2 on a hyper v host1

We have a firewall doing what firewalls do etc

VM1 successfully added VM2(veeam backup repository)

The problem:

1. Tried adding a windows server VM3 to VM1(located on hyper v host2) - I get the network path & credentials error
  2. Tried adding a veeamproxy machine VM4 to VM1 - I get the network path & credentials error

The AD admin user account used in above attempts works perfectly on all computers in my LAN

I used same ad admin account that I used to add VM2 to VM1(now listed in veeam as a valid AD account) for VM3 & VM4

There is solid communication between VM1 and other servers, confirmed via icmp/pings

I have other hyper v hosts and dont want to be testing this on all of them

What is going on here, is this a firewall issue? if so, what specific ports (you have a table full of ports) must be opened for your application and where should I focus these changes/policies, on the external firewall or windows firewall on the hyper v host and/or vm guest on the host?

In earlier versions of veeam e.g. 9.5, i had no issues adding servers, backup proxies etc and I had fully setup firewalls in my environment cisco, checkpoint.

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Please check these posts already in the community to see if they help -

Adding hyper v host fails with "invalid credentials" or "spedified host is not a hyper v server" | Veeam Community Resource Hub

adding hyper-v host failed with "invalid credentials" noting that we dont have domain and the veeam and Hyper-v are on the same subnet | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Add Hyper-V to Virtual Infrastructure Failing | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 5

I realise to get what you need you have to throw your net into the sea until u catch something, lol. Thanks though, bunch of reading/sifting now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I realise to get what you need you have to throw your net into the sea until u catch something, lol. Thanks though, bunch of reading/sifting now.

Not a problem.  Google/Search is always my friend so I try that first typically.  Keep us posted and hopefully one of those posts helps out.

Userlevel 5

THAT BLOODY WINDOWS FIREWALL I TELL YOU. I had to turn it off, had no time deciding which port to enable lol, too busy. I had a funny feeling about the windows firewall, because it is common for many applications to be blocked due to the windows firewall, once I disabled/turned it off on a server/PC, magic happens. I tell you about that windows firewall.

Installing the windows veeam backup agent will allow recommended ports naturally on a server yes, but come on now lol.

VM4 is now added after turning off its win fwl, i never had to do this with previous VBR versions, why now. Which specific veeam PORT and/or PORTS can be manually enabled in the win fwl to avoid just the popular “turning off windows firewall”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Check here as there is a Port Finder tool from Veeam that will help with this - Ports Finder | Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide

Userlevel 5

Dude you area Veeam master. I am coming from the Veritas BUEXEC club lol, so kindly welcome me aboard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Dude you area Veeam master. I am coming from the Veritas BUEXEC club lol, so kindly welcome me aboard.

LOL no problem at all.  Considering I have written three books on Veeam starting with v10 to v12 and going to do a fourth on 12.1.  😉😋

Userlevel 5

Well i am in good hands, well we all are.

Userlevel 5

Now I am getting “no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused 127.0.0.1. Make sure the backup server you are connecting is 12.1 version”

Ghosts in the place LOL, I had to restart the backup service. I tell you about the Windows OS

Tell me though, ANYONE, the mandatory Veeam services in services.msc that MUST be on by default/automatic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Now I am getting “no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused 127.0.0.1. Make sure the backup server you are connecting is 12.1 version”

Ghosts in the place LOL, I had to restart the backup service. I tell you about the Windows OS

Tell me though, ANYONE, the mandatory Veeam services in services.msc that MUST be on by default/automatic.

For the services it is typically all of them on by default whether Automatic or Auto-Delayed.  LOL

I think some change the Distribution Service to Manual as that is the one that pushes out agents, etc. to servers if you don’t need it.

Userlevel 5

I am from Jamaica, my baby brother is named Chris. You are now my new best friend, thanks for the knowledge, pleasure to be apart of the community. I recently convinced my company to buy Veeam data platform essentials, awaiting the official license key and all. Currently i am using the 30 day trial version doing some testing. Did 2 test backup jobs and all successful. Veeam is sweet, Veritas is crap honestly. Hope I get enough help here, God bless!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Check here as there is a Port Finder tool from Veeam that will help with this - Ports Finder | Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide

Ooh...I haven’t seen this.  Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Ooh...I haven’t seen this.  Thanks for sharing!

Cool tool 😎

Comment