Solved

MySQL backup

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey guys, I have a question.

In a windows system with MySQL database, if I install veeam agent for windows, will I able to backup MySql database?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 25 October 2021, 12:28

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It will not be consistent. 
Veeam Agent for Windows do not have a mysql integration.

You need to work with pre freeze Scripts, to get the mysql db in a consistent state before windows creates the vss snapshot.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/pre_post_scripts.html?ver=50

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But if you do a server managed agent job you can configure application aware backup for MS SQL.

I haven’t done this for a server managed agent job, so, no guarantee that it will work. But it is worth trying….

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

But if you do a server managed agent job you can configure application aware backup for MS SQL.

I haven’t done this for a server managed agent job, but it is worth trying….

Only for Veeam Agent for Linux.

Not for Windows Systems. He is asking for windows Agent specifically. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I haven’t done this for a server managed agent job, but it is worth trying….

Only for Veeam Agent for Linux.

Not for Windows Systems.

Mhh, the configuration menues are there for Windows, too.

As I said before, I haven’t tried it so far…. And I don’t have a test maschine for this scenario at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@JMeixner 

SQL is for MSSQL, not MySQL.

Windows:

Linux:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh, cannot read today. Indeed, @Anandu says MySQL…

Ok, ok, my mistake :zipper_mouth:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@JMeixner

Windows:

Linux:

it’s always a pleasure to read you @Mildur 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@JMeixner

Windows:

Linux:

Interesting to see the Linux window showing MySQL. Looks like as you mentioned scripts are the way.

My Sys Admin installed Veeam Agent on the target Linux/MySQL server.  I had to create a veeam account in the MySQL database to allow him to log into the MySQL instance.  The Veeam for Linux application  logged into the MySQL server, flushed and locked the MyISAM tables, took the snapshot, and then unlocked the MyISAM tables.  However, Veeam for Linux did not touch the InnoDB tables (the newer standard).  Does anyone know if the InnoDB tables need to be flushed before taking a backup snapshot or not.  Veeam backup snapshots each logical volume when doing a full VM server backup to include the logical volume that contains the data directory (/var/lib/mysql).  I am wondering if I now have a consistent backup or not in regard to  the InnoDB tables.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My Sys Admin installed Veeam Agent on the target Linux/MySQL server.  I had to create a veeam account in the MySQL database to allow him to log into the MySQL instance.  The Veeam for Linux application  logged into the MySQL server, flushed and locked the MyISAM tables, took the snapshot, and then unlocked the MyISAM tables.  However, Veeam for Linux did not touch the InnoDB tables (the newer standard).  Does anyone know if the InnoDB tables need to be flushed before taking a backup snapshot or not.  Veeam backup snapshots each logical volume when doing a full VM server backup to include the logical volume that contains the data directory (/var/lib/mysql).  I am wondering if I now have a consistent backup or not in regard to  the InnoDB tables.

The easiest way to tell would be to do a restore and check the database tables in question.  You can also check this forum post on InnoDB - Backup MySQL Databases of a VM in VMware - R&D Forums (veeam.com)

Comment