Question

migration of server

Userlevel 4

i need to know if there a supported veeam migration tool to migrate all vms from old server to new server

30 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Mohamed Raees Welcome to the Community.

Can you provide more information on what you are trying to do?

Also, you could use Veeam ZIP: VeeamZIP - User Guide for VMware vSphere

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Agree with @dips more information needed. Are you trying to migrate your production VMs or your backups? If production, what hypervisor are they on?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Mohamed Raees you mean the move of the backups ?

Either you just can copy the files to the new repository and start importing from there.

Otherwise when you have your backups on a location which you can easily assign to the new server, you can start importing the backups as soon as they’re attached to the new server.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/importing_backups.html?ver=120

Userlevel 4

Hi @dips .Thank you

i was asking is there any kind of inbuilt tool with Veeam to migrate VM data to another server .suppose if we are upgrading the servers .All data should be moved to new server including windows server or linux server etc

Userlevel 4

Hi @MicoolPaul .i mean production server. vmware hypervisor

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

From within the Veeam Console, in the Virtual Infrastructure node where you can see your virtual environment, you can expand your ESXi Hosts to show your VMs, right click a VM & perform a Quick Migration. See the Guide here

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@coolsport00’s way works definitely, if you’ve got a larger set of VMs you need to co-ordinate you can use replication jobs and then planned failovers as well.

Userlevel 4

Thanks @coolsport00 @MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure...hope it helps you out.

Userlevel 4

i am working on it. and also i was not able to find physical infrastructure on my veeam backup and replication

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It will be in the 2nd “node” of your VBR Console - Inventory.

When there, expand your vSphere environment (assuming you have VMware), click your Cluster or Hosts and you’ll see your VMs. You can select multiple VMs (holding shift key & clicking each one), then rt-click > Quick Migration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Userlevel 4

@coolsport00 there only shows virtual infrastructure 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Must be an older version of Veeam I presume? Regardless the node name, as long as you can find your hypervisor environment, just drill to your Cluster or Hosts and click on them (for me, I had to click on my Cluster), to see your VMs. You can then perform Quick Migration….assuming you’ve added the hypervisor environment to your Console?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Must be an older version of Veeam I presume? Regardless the node name, as long as you can find your hypervisor environment, just drill to your Cluster or Hosts and click on them (for me, I had to click on my Cluster), to see your VMs. You can then perform Quick Migration….assuming you’ve added the hypervisor environment to your Console?

If you can post a screenshot of your console that that might also help us determine how to help further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you don’t want to have linked vCenters, it works great with Veeam. 

First make sure you have both of your vCenter’s in Veeam.

The easiest way is quick migration. It’s under the Inventory menu, select the VM, and run it.  After you choose the target vCenter, Datastore and folder the VM will move and be running in the new infrastructure. 

Another option, if you can have some downtime, power down the VM, run a backup to have the most current version, then restore it to the new vCcenter. I had to use this method a few times migrating a VM that was about 40TB as my quick migration was failing.  An interesting fact is that if you have VERY large VM’s, or a slow network, VMware will close the port after 24 hours. If your migration or a vMotion is taking longer than that you have to enable the PortReserveTimeout. Keep in mind under most circumstances this is not required. 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85760

Another option is to use CDP or Veeam Replication from one ESXI environment to another and do a planned fail over. Once you are done you can commit it and remove copy on the old infrastructure.

Try the quick migration first. It works great and this is what it is designed for. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Quick Migration tends to be the answer here.  It will try and leverage vMotion but I’m assuming you don’t have vMotion so then it fails back to the Veeam QuickMigration solution.  Not that there is a probably a couple of minutes of downtime for the machine to move over as it creates a copy of the VM on the target host, and then shuts down the source VM, replicates any changes, and then powers up the target VM.  I believe there is also an option to delete the source VM upon completion if you would like.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Oh, and as otherwise noted, you can also create replica’s, you can backup a VM on one host and restore on another…..I think that’s about it for Veeam solutions, but that should take care of you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Create replication job, then make planned failover.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ohhh I messed up!!

calling for help to undo the best answer comment!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Mohamed Raees - did you end up using the VeeamZIP tool? If so, and since @dips suggested doing so, I believe his comment/suggestion should’ve received the ‘Best Answer’, unless there was some other factor why you chose @MicoolPaul ‘s response? If any other Community members agree or feel otherwise, please chime in. I just want to make sure questions are marked accordingly with the actual ‘best answer’ as long as the poster agrees. Thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Ohhh I messed up!!

calling for help to undo the best answer comment!!

@Madi.Cristil @safiya 

Can you please reset the best answer on this thread?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@HunterLAFR  I may have done the same thing before 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think we all have done it once at least. 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yeah! The “ups I checked the best answer button wrongly club” is active and huge!!

🤣

regarding the question here, try!

you have listed different options.

try some vms as a test, and pick the easiest / suitable one for you and your Infra, depending on time down, criticality, etc.

my choose was most of the time, restore to a new location during out of office hours, if the vms were small, quick migration.

cheers.

Comment