Question

Migrate VBR from v11 to v12 to a new machine with Azure blob storage repositories

Userlevel 2

According to Veeam documentation, migrating a legacy VBR (v11) to a new one (v12.1) requires disabling the services on the current server. This legacy server retains the ownership of all the Azure blobs used as scale-out repositories. All blobs are used to long-term backups. Regular short-term backup jobs are configured to local disk repositories.  My question lies in the moment after the restore process ends (with the option to migrate flaged). Do I just need to request ownership of the blob or is some additional procedure required to re-enable this scale-out repositories. Is there any chance to lose the chain inside this blobs after the restore? If restore fails somehow, can I just jump back to the legacy server? I cannot risk losing the backup chain held there, cause we are talking of dozens of TBs. 

If there is some guide to migrate VBR with Azure blobs or anyone has ever had this need somehow, can please share the steps taken?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When you migrate to the v12 VBR server and add the blob repositories it will prompt you about ownership with the old VBR server and assuming it on the new.  The other option would be to do a Configuration Backup and restore that to the v12 server so that it has all the details then when you edit the repositories, they will already be there but keep in mind it will be associated to the old server's name not new one and should still prompt.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for reply.

When you say to do a Configuration Backup and restore, is to literally restore and not to use the migrate option, right? I´m aware that the blob ownership has to change because of the server name has changed. I´m just curious about this difference between restore and migrate related to Azure blobs. If I understood with the migrate option blobs need to be re-added back as repositories and with restore they will be just reconnected. In both cases I will be prompted for ownership change. Am I right?

And about in-place upgrade to V12, will something change or all scale-out repositories will be ready to use right after the end of the upgrade process?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, sorry the Migration option since you will be using a new server with v12, and the name will be different.

If you do an in-place upgrade, then that solves things more easily as everything will remain as is and should just work after the upgrade with no issues including jobs and repositories.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@HeinerHardt 

In my experience. I migrated it as your requirements for many customers and they have no issues.

Two Options here.

Option 1: You will keep the same MSSQL database as v11

This is very simple, you can in-place upgrade it from v11 to v12.1.

Option 2: You will upgrade PostgreSQL to V12.1.

I would recommend the steps below:

1.In-place upgrade of the existing Veeam server from v11 to v12 with the MSSQL.

2.Backup Configuration.

3.Create a new server and install v12.1 with PostgreSQL

4.Restore configuration to the new Veeam 12.1 server, but Choose Migrate, not Restore.

The detailed information and steps are below link

KB1889: How to migrate Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, sorry the Migration option since you will be using a new server with v12, and the name will be different.

If you do an in-place upgrade, then that solves things more easily as everything will remain as is and should just work after the upgrade with no issues including jobs and repositories.

Hi @HeinerHardt, just in case you wish to perform an in-place upgrade for your Windows Server, I would recommend that you also upgrade your Microsoft SQL as well. You will find this article very useful on how to and why you should upgrade.

Userlevel 2

Hi @lams3le ,

Veeam database is currently running on external Microsoft SQL Server 2019. No upgrades are on radar  soon. What benefits compared to the current version of MSSQL, in case of upgrade, are we talking here?

Comment