Solved

Manually remove Veeam components from HV host

• 28 February 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 5 comments

Further to my earlier question about backing up between networks, I tried to start removing the Veeam components that are installed on the Hyper-V hosts.  One of the hosts is being a real pig and will not remove with error ‘Connecting to installer service Error: The RPC server is unavailable.’  On checking, the Veeam Installer Service is not running and will not start with an errors 7009 and 7000.  Trying to delete the service as per KB2263: Failed to start service ‘VeeamDeploySvc’ - The system cannot find the file specified. does not work either!  Any suggestions on how to manually remove Veeam components from this host? Slight curveball is that it is Windows Server Core 2019.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by AndyO 15 March 2023, 02:18

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge

Have you try to run the command with console elevated to Administrator?

Userlevel 2

Have you try to run the command with console elevated to Administrator?

Yes, I made sure it was elevated.  I’m going to give the host another reboot tonight to see if it is just stuck in some sort of pending state.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Have you tried to launch a 

wmic product

and then remove stuck installer

cd C:\Windows\installer
msiexec.exec /x [name_of_installer]

?

Userlevel 2

Have you tried to launch a 

wmic product

and then remove stuck installer

cd C:\Windows\installer
msiexec.exec /x [name_of_installer]

?

Trying to manually remove the components resulted in the msiexec process getting stuck.  What I hadn’t realised is that the server had end point protection running (S1).  When this was disabled, adding the host to the new Veeam instance worked perfectly.  Thanks everyone for the help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @AndyO 

Did you checked port 135 and 445 ports are opened?

Comment