Skip to main content
Question

Linux based backup server appliance

I wonder when is the Linux Veeam Backup Appliance will be released ?

Because yesterday we are impacted with the CrowdStrike Falcon incident which caused the Backup server and the Backup Proxy to be encrypted.

Only the Immutable Repo is not impacted with this incident.

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @vAdmin  - 

Sorry you were affected by the CS bug. Many were sadly.

The VBR appliance or Linux installer isn't slated to be released until Veeam version13 comes out, which is supposed to be sometime next year. No definitive date was given at VeeamON. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It is a shame so many were affected by this issue and I know many Veeam users were wishing for the Linux application.  As mentioned next year 2025 until then most other components support Linux now and having a good configuration backup is essential.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You may want to move your proxies to Linux as they work really well and got enhancements in the latest releases of 12.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It might sound pedantic but just for those who find this in the future, your servers weren’t encrypted but the crowdstrike faulty update caused them to be stuck in a boot loop.

Linux isn’t a cure for all but it certainly would’ve helped yesterday!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You may want to move your proxies to Linux as they work really well and got enhancements in the latest releases of 12.1.

@vAdmin - Chris brings up a good point with this. I just implemented Linux Proxies in my environment several mos ago. If you want/need assistance in getting Linux Proxies up, I posted about how to do so:

Best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @vAdmin, how is this a Windows issue? The same issue happened to Linux users some time ago. Here are some links on the fly: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoft/comments/1e81093/msft_not_at_fault/ and https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=41005936

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It might sound pedantic but just for those who find this in the future, your servers weren’t encrypted but the crowdstrike faulty update caused them to be stuck in a boot loop.

Linux isn’t a cure for all but it certainly would’ve helped yesterday!

+1 While I do not believe in the crucifixion of anyone involved. Rather, they should learn from their lessons and ensure QA is prioritised. Here is a comment on the Reddit link I shared above “My favourite part of this is the CEO of Crowdstrike was the cto of mcafee when they did the same thing, in 2010.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This (catastrophic) problem seems to pave the way for many improvements. I believe that Veeam will increase its integration with Linux systems in new developments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Unfortunately linux doesn't seem to have been exempted:

CrowdStrike’s Falcon Sensor linked to Linux crashes, too • The Register

CrowdStrike broke Debian and Rocky Linux months ago, but no one noticed - Neowin

Even i read on social network, linux kernel protection didn’t protect from this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

CrowdStrike broke Debian and Rocky Linux months ago, but no one noticed - Neowin

Even i read on social network, linux kernel protection didn’t protect from this issue.

Wow!  Not surprising but I am sure not as many as windows users.  

Userlevel 3

Linux proxies have been rock solid for us for the past year except for the occasional stuck hot add which isn’t a LNX problem at all. Looking forward to v13. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yeah...saw that yesterday as well; happened back just a month ago. Little fun fact → my org was (specifically our Security Admin) was set on implementing their product in our environment…..until the weekend (Fri) happened 🤷🏻‍♂️👎🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

On one hand, I’m thankful we’re no longer a Crowdstrike shop.  Which I was initially opposed to, but because of it, I was able to take Friday off like I had expected.  However, just because I wasn’t affected this time, is not to say that other applications can’t and won’t suffer the same fate in the future.  It was just amazing seeing the massive footprint that a global outage like this created….I had no idea that Crowdstrike was so popular among seemingly everyone.  I knew it was big, just didn’t know that it was THAT big.

That said, it is indeed another notch that would have made life easier of VBR was on Linux, and it will be next year, but as noted, it’s not the silver bullet that protect all….but it helps!

Comment