Solved

Issue with USB recovery drive booting on windows 11

Userlevel 4

I’m have question about the usb recovery drive. For some reason the recovery will not boot into the bare metal utility, it stops and shows a command window. I’m running latest windows 11 so any thoughts as to why this would be?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Rick Vanover 1 August 2022, 15:07

View original

53 comments

Userlevel 1

Hey, i’ve got the same Problem. Windows 11, Veeam Recovery media Boots into command prompt (X:\Windows\System32)

newest Version of Agent and Recovery Media.

tried UEFI and Legacy Boot also with Rufus on different machines

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey, i’ve got the same Problem. Windows 11, Veeam Recovery media Boots into command prompt (X:\Windows\System32)

@SchrepfV - there is another user with same issue.  For both of you which Windows 11 version are you running?  The initial release or an Insider build by chance?  If you run WINVER you will get a screenshot of the Windows version screen.

Userlevel 1

Windows Version installed

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Windows Version installed

So that is the next release of Windows from the original 22000.xxx.  Not sure if that might be the issue and Veeam needs to update the 5.x agent or wait for the 6.x with v12.

I tested the restore process on 22000.xxx builds and it worked.  I have not yet tested it on this build nor the DEV channel for Insider builds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This is why preview builds should NEVER be used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Or you have an alternative for backups should the Veeam Agent not work.  😉

Userlevel 4

@SchrepfV - there is another user with same issue.  For both of you which Windows 11 version are you running?  The initial release or an Insider build by chance?  If you run WINVER you will get a screenshot of the Windows version screen.

I’m running 22621.160, I’m not in the insider build.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No but that is the next release of Windows and not the original 22000.xxx release.  So there could be some compatibility issues with the Veeam Agent is my guess.

Userlevel 4

No but that is the next release of Windows and not the original 22000.xxx release.  So there could be some compatibility issues with the Veeam Agent is my guess.

Agree, but it does appear that there is an issue and more people will be updated and have the same problem. Hope that Veeam take a look to see if they can resolve this quickly. Note that there apparently  was a similar problem back in 2019 on a windows 10 update so would think that Veeam has history with such an issue and thus might be a simple fix based on history.

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Agree, but it does appear that there is an issue and more people will be updated and have the same problem. Hope that Veeam take a look to see if they can resolve this quickly. Note that there apparently  was a similar problem back in 2019 on a windows 10 update so would think that Veeam has history with such an issue and thus might be a simple fix based on history.

Thanks 

Yeah here is hoping as I remember the one in Win10 too.

Userlevel 4

Thanks 

Yeah here is hoping as I remember the one in Win10 too.

Guess it’s wait and see and hope we don’t need a to use “bare metal restore” before the fix… 🤞

This is actually a foolish design and alternatives need to be identified and implemented. Recovery should not be reliant on building a working image on a specific version of an OS. I SHOULD be able to install whatever i want including preview builds and use the tool I pay good money for, to recover should I need to.

Other vendors offer linux based recovery media, this is probably a good addition to the product and I hope it's one that comes along with V12.

Userlevel 4

This is actually a foolish design and alternatives need to be identified and implemented. Recovery should not be reliant on building a working image on a specific version of an OS. I SHOULD be able to install whatever i want including preview builds and use the tool I pay good money for, to recover should I need to.

Other vendors offer linux based recovery media, this is probably a good addition to the product and I hope it's one that comes along with V12.

I totally agree. Would be great if they based the working image on Linux as this would certainly help resolve the issue we are facing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I agree, the recovery media could be more flexible. But this does not solve the problem that a backup software can’t support a new OS version completely at the next day after it appears.

In the issue in this thread you cannot be sure if your backup is really reliable, because this OS version is not completely tested.

It takes some time to test and adapt the backup software to the new OS version. At the most times this takes several weeks only with Veeam….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is not a foolish design and most all vendors follow this path. Just because a new version is out does not require the vendor to support it day one and no vendor I know does this!  It will take weeks sometimes months to test so you should not be able to install what you want and expect Veeam to support it right away they need to test it like all vendors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@SchrepfV have you tried to create recovery USB from another PC and the use that to boot into recovery from yours? If there’s no RAID or particular driver, it should works.

This was my suggestion next - I think the ability of the source PC to make a boot media may be the question at this point.

So I can say that I’ve made recovery images across many systems, never had an issue. I’ve shared them left right up and down and they work well, including across versions. The epitome of “it works” but “may not be supported” - so try a different PC, install the free agent, make a recovery image and try again.  Will say, I’ve been fiddling with the agent since 2014, never seen this situation.

Userlevel 4

@SchrepfV have you tried to create recovery USB from another PC and the use that to boot into recovery from yours? If there’s no RAID or particular driver, it should works.

This was my suggestion next - I think the ability of the source PC to make a boot media may be the question at this point.

So I can say that I’ve made recovery images across many systems, never had an issue. I’ve shared them left right up and down and they work well, including across versions. The epitome of “it works” but “may not be supported” - so try a different PC, install the free agent, make a recovery image and try again.  Will say, I’ve been fiddling with the agent since 2014, never seen this situation.

Hi,

I unfortunately do not have another PC to make the media with but I can confirm that all other bootable usb drives that I have made and tested without the Veeam media work fine. Also I have been using the free version of Veeam for years and have made many bootable USB’s with the Veeam media with no problem. Really believe it is an issue with this latest windows 11 update and the Veeam media that is the issue as it was working on this PC before the update. Also it appears that others are having the same issue  with their windows 11 updates and the Veeam bootable media.

I have the same issue with a Dell XPS-9520 and Windows 11 22H2. Did the support find a solution in the meantime? I like Veeam as a backup system for my private windows PC but if it does not work for me any more, I might have to look for other solutions...

Userlevel 4

Sure there are many more with this issue and can only hope that the next update (6.0) will fix it.

I just reproduced the issue on Win 11 22H2 and I can tell you what worked for me: spinning up a VM with Windows 10, installed Veeam Agent in it and creating the recovery media from it passing the USB stick.

Userlevel 4

I just reproduced the issue on Win 11 22H2 and I can tell you what worked for me: spinning up a VM with Windows 10, installed Veeam Agent in it and creating the recovery media from it passing the USB stick.

Thanks, I tried this and it worked.. little bit of a workaround but at least I have recovery media on usb stick that now works.. Thanks so much

I have the same issue with my XPS 15 9520. I have Win 11 Pro, Build 22621. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have the same issue with my XPS 15 9520. I have Win 11 Pro, Build 22621. 

Try the workaround as noted above.  ☝🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@sekrz

The issue with the recovery medias is confirmed. 

Please see our statement in the RnD forums:

https://forums.veeam.com/post467837.html#p467837

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@sekrz

The issues with the recovery medias are confirmed. 

Please see our statement in the RnD forums:

https://forums.veeam.com/post467837.html#p467837

Very nice to see you found the issue and a fix is coming. 👌🏼

Comment