Question

Is it possible to throttle specific backup copy jobs ?

• 13 January 2024
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Comes here often
  • 21 comments

I want to give copy job A 10 MB/s but copy job B 2 MB/s. Both go to the same target offsite repo

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, there are all kinds of ways to make this happen, and please forgive my asking, but “why” do you need it this way? What objective are you trying to achieve that you believe necessitates this approach?

When backup job A finishes wouldn’t you want to have backup job B speed up for example?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you want to run the BCJ jobs at the same time you won't be able to do this.  If you can have the jobs run separately then you can throttle them. Check here about throttling - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/setting_network_traffic_throttling.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes, if you schedule your copy jobs.

Under the hamburger menu in the console, select Network Traffic rules.

You can create a multiple rules,

For each one, enter the subnet of your proxy servers the check “Throttle Network traffic to” and specificy “During specified time period only”

You would create different speeds for different times. 

Now schedule your copy jobs for those specific times.

Honestly though, It’s going to be more of a headache if things fall behind and could be tough to manage.

I have one rule, based on what my link can handle with overhead for other traffic to not overwhelm it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Scott that’s a good idea.

I had a different idea that ‘could’ work, but wouldn’t scale too well but fine for this scenario:

Assuming the repository is Windows or Linux, could give the device a second IP address within the same subnet, then have BCJ1 targeting the backup repository added with the primary IP, and BCJ2 targetting the backup repository added with the secondary IP, then with network traffic rules explicit to each of the BCJs. Sure it’d mean adding the repository again but with Veeamover now it’s not too difficult to get Veeam to gracefully move the chain.

The common problem with both of these approaches is that they’re just not as efficient, if BCJ2 was running but BCJ1 had finished, couldn’t BCJ2 consume the greater amount of bandwidth and benefit from a faster copy? Since it’s the same target.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

While my idea “Works” it also doesn’t scale well.

Ideally, having separate throttles would make sense if you have a 9-5 business. Perhaps from 8-6 you would want to use less bandwidth for Veeam but let it go full speed after hours.  Whenever your copy jobs hit they will just queue up and go.

I’d have to see the reason for having a specific copy job have a different rule.  This seems like a pretty uncommon way to implement it considering how many people replicate their jobs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Arin -

Just following up on this network throtlle query you had. Did one of the comments above help get you situated? If so, could select which comment best helped you as ‘Best Answer’ to benefit others who may come across your post with a similar query?

Thank you.

Comment