Solved

Install Veeam B&R on second site. License?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello,

As I’m doing Backup Copy Jobs to second location I think it would be good to have Veeam B&R on that site also if somethings happens with primary location.

For me I would need advice on licensing the second Veeam B&R.

My primary Veeam B&R is on the primary site so If everything goes down there is no way to restore VM’s without it.

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 21 March 2023, 13:11

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could move your VBR server to the DR site. No second VBR server is needed to create the backup copies. To be able to recover your VBR server do an configuration backup and store it at both sites. With this the recreation of the VBR server is easy.

In order to be able to recreate the VBR server fast you should either have a spare hardware you can install and recover with VBR and your configuration backup. Or have a provisioned VM at both sites to recreate the server fast.

You should implement Repository servers with enough storage to hold your backup data at each site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Is it possible to have both VBR running on both sites?
The second site is not a DR site its also working in production. So in scenario where one site is down I would resotre VM’s from that site to working site.

The best option would be to have VBR on both location i guess?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you have 2 sites and each site has its own VMs, then you have two options, 1st to have 1 VBR  and manage both sites with single VBR if there is a connectivity between them. 2nd you can have VBR in each site and manage both with Veeam Enterprise manager and install the licenses only in Veeam Enterprise Manager.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

For now I have first solution. One VBR that manage both sites and the VBR is located in my case in Vienna, Austria. Second site is Novi Sad, Serbia.

For me the question is if Vienna goes down I then install VBR in Novi Sad with Configuration file and then I can restore VM’s from backups?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you have backup copies in the second site, yes you can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That would be the case for me then.

Thanks to everybody.
Where I can take my knowledge in Veeam on a higher level?
Is there any courses, certifications etc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, there are courses and certifications.

For this have a look here:
https://www.veeam.com/vmce-certification.html?tab=

This are the VMCE (Veeam Certified Engineer) and VMCA (Veeam Certified Architect) courses and certifications. The courses are paid instructor led courses with 3, respective 2 days duration. The certifications require to pass a PearsonVue exam.

You can have a look at Veeam university, too. There are free basic courses: https://veeam.looop.co/

Or - if you are a Veeam ProPartner - you can go to VeeamIQ in the ProPartner Portal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could move your VBR server to the DR site. No second VBR server is needed to create the backup copies. To be able to recover your VBR server do an configuration backup and store it at both sites. With this the recreation of the VBR server is easy.

In order to be able to recreate the VBR server fast you should either have a spare hardware you can install and recover with VBR and your configuration backup. Or have a provisioned VM at both sites to recreate the server fast.

You should implement Repository servers with enough storage to hold your backup data at each site.

For now I have first solution. One VBR that manage both sites and the VBR is located in my case in Vienna, Austria. Second site is Novi Sad, Serbia.

For me the question is if Vienna goes down I then install VBR in Novi Sad with Configuration file and then I can restore VM’s from backups?

If you have a second VBR server at your DR site but it is not backing up or doing anything you should be ok as it will not use licenses.  If the main site goes down you restore the configuration backup and license to the DR site to restore things.  You will need access to the repository from the primary site to recover.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I would look into your license model.

With VUL licenses you can install as many Veeam servers as you want and pay per workload.

You could install Veeam at each site, and back up the opposite site this way. If one site goes down you have the data at the other.

Option 2.

Use enterprise manager in the above scenario for a single pane of glass and licenseing.

Option 3. 

1 Veeam server, backup at each site, copy job to opposite site.

Have your backup config export go to the remote site every day.

IF by some chance you lost your main site, you could just install Veeam, import the config and away you go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

With VUL licenses you can install as many Veeam servers as you want and pay per workload.

You could install Veeam at each site, and back up the opposite site this way. If one site goes down you have the data at the other.

Perpetual licensing is going to be similar.  You’re licensing protected sockets.  Doesn’t matter where the server is, or how many there are, you are limited by the number of protected sockets instead of protected workloads.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Perpetual licensing is going to be similar.  You’re licensing protected sockets.  Doesn’t matter where the server is, or how many there are, you are limited by the number of protected sockets instead of protected workloads.

With Enterprise Manager handling the licenses yes.

If you want both Veeam servers to see all of the VMware hosts, and don’t want to use Enterprise Manager for 2 isolated Veeam environments would you not have to apply the license to both servers. That seems like a grey area unless Veeam specifically says that is ok to use a license twice if servers are managing the same infrastructure.

I long for the day Veeam come out with a multi-site HA server setup. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Absolutely yes…..HA would be awesome!  Then again, I suppose that would generally require using an external SQL server unless they wanted to do some sort of database replication between servers.  Regardless, it’ll be a welcome addition if/when we someday might get that feature!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Absolutely yes…..HA would be awesome!  Then again, I suppose that would generally require using an external SQL server unless they wanted to do some sort of database replication between servers.  Regardless, it’ll be a welcome addition if/when we someday might get that feature!

We have SQL Enterprise and AlwaysON so we could have active/active if we really wanted already :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

One thing you could do I haven’t seen suggested yet: install Veeam Recovery Orchestrator if you are licensed for it. The installation includes an embedded VBR. If you wrote your configuration backups to somewhere the VRO server could access, you could restore the config onto the embedded VBR during a disaster.

Comment