Solved

How to migrate Veeam B&R (v12) installation to a new server?

• 8 November 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello, I will need to migrate my Veeam Backup & Replication (v12) installation to a new server because my current server is 2012 R2 and it’s not supported anymore as you know.

My new server (virtual) will be a Windows 2016 and I want to migrate my Veeam B&R install the proper way in order to avoid loosing any “block change tracking” or things like that and have my backups and replications running the same as before on the new server because I have around 25 TB of data to backup and replicate and if Veeam needs to re-read the entire volume (instead of “change blocks”) that would be 48+ hours lost! 😵

Thank you!!

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 8 November 2023, 16:03

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Simon C. -

What you need to do is stop all your jobs (disable them), take a current backup of your VBR DB config and store in a place accessible to the new VBR server, stop all your Veeam services, and pretty much follow the User Guide on server migration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You’ll then basically install Veeam on a new server, and import the VBR Config on the new server then you should be good to go. It’s not too difficult a process, as I just recently did this a couple mos ago. Also, why are you going with Windows 2016, and not either 2019 or 2022? I recommend going with the latest OS if you’re able to. 2016 is already end of general life, altho updates will still happen another 3.5yrs 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Simon C. -

What you need to do is stop all your jobs (disable them), take a current backup of your VBR DB config and store in a place accessible to the new VBR server, stop all your Veeam services, and pretty much follow the User Guide on server migration.

Just follow what Shane posted here as that is the way.

Userlevel 1

You’ll then basically install Veeam on a new server, and import the VBR Config on the new server then you should be good to go. It’s not too difficult a process, as I just recently did this a couple mos ago. Also, why are you going with Windows 2016, and not either 2019 or 2022? I recommend going with the latest OS if you’re able to. 2016 is already end of general life, altho updates will still happen another 3.5yrs 

Thank you very much for this information and to answer your question it’s a simple matter of free licences I have. Starting with Windows 2019 the price of the licence at Microsoft increased like CRAZY. Back with Windows 2016 a “box” (perpetual) licence of W2016 STD was 699$ CAD (I am in Canada) and that’s it. I recently purchased a few W2022 licences for other (more critical) productions servers and with the new licensing model they were like 5000$+ CAD a piece… totally insane price increase!

So since Veeam isn’t like a critical service that requires latest OS, I’ll re-use a W2016 licence I already have in hand to avoid spending 5K$ CAD on a new W2022 licence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Simon C. - No problem at all...glad to help out.

“So since Veeam isn’t like a critical service that requires latest OS, I’ll re-use a W2016 licence I already have in hand to avoid spending 5K$ CAD on a new W2022 licence” » Makes sense. Assumed it may be a license thing, but wanted to provide that recommendation regardless 😊

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

As the folks have noted above our HelpCenter has a great step by step process documented to help with this exact task.  Migrating Veeam Backup & Replication to Another Backup Server

Comment