Solved

How to manually install Agent to be used with Console

Userlevel 4

When I manually install Windows agent, it installs with GUI, thus I’m able to perform backups from that particular PC. But I need Agent to perform backups from B&R Console installed elsewhere. When I create the backup job from the Console, it makes a rescan of the PC with Agent installed, then does some ‘MSI packet repair’. So the Agent’s GUI disappears and Agent ‘transforms’ to the version compatible with Console.

My question here is how can I at once install Agent to be used with Console? Is there some key can be used with MSI packet to directly install Consol-aware version of Agent?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 31 July 2023, 11:58

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @pgadmin 

please take a look into this link

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/agent_management.html?ver=60

you can have the Client independent or managed by Veeam B&R

cheers.

Userlevel 4

@HunterLAFR

I’m sorry, I can’t find the required information there. I need an installer option to install Agent to be used with Console. An option like here, but for Veeam_B&R_Endpoint_x64.msi and for described purpose:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/unattended_vaw.html?ver=120

Or any other way to install Agent in the same way the Console does it when I do a Rescan of the Protection Group.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, you want to create one or more (as appropriate) protection groups of “Computers with pre-installed agents”. This will generate an installer for you that can register the servers directly to VBR during the installation 😊

These pages should help with the context:

Deploying Veeam Agents Using Generated Setup Files - Veeam Agent Management Guide

Deploying Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows - Veeam Agent Management Guide

Here’s the appropriate protection group step:

Step 3. Select Protection Group Type - Veeam Agent Management Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi @pgadmin 

check this can help m8! 😎

[GUIDE] How To deploy & schedule Veeam Agent Protection Group MS Cluster step by step | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, you want to create one or more (as appropriate) protection groups of “Computers with pre-installed agents”. This will generate an installer for you that can register the servers directly to VBR during the installation 😊

These pages should help with the context:

Deploying Veeam Agents Using Generated Setup Files - Veeam Agent Management Guide

Deploying Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows - Veeam Agent Management Guide

Here’s the appropriate protection group step:

Step 3. Select Protection Group Type - Veeam Agent Management Guide

thanks @MicoolPaul for the accurate info.

Im not really into this topic, I was just pointing @pgadmin to the best direction possible.

cheers.

Userlevel 4

@MicoolPaul 

Thank you for the links! I see now that Console does much more than just installs Agent, but does it with additional information provided to the Agent.

Is there any way to generate required XML file in B&R version 10? There is no ‘Computers with pre-installed backup agents’ option for the Protection group like it’s explained here and as far as I understand this is crucial step to do what I want.

Userlevel 4

@Link State 

Thank you for the guide. It describes the automatic deploy of the Agent via Console. I have no troubles with that. I want to manually install the Agent in such way, that when Console rescans the PC with that Agent, it will be ready to use without repairing the package

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

To wind back a minute, do you need to manually install the Agent? Could VBR deploy the agent for you and control the backup policy? If so just create a protection group, either add the server by FQDN/IP or via Active Directory, and then create a backup job policy as normal.

Also, v10 is WAYYYY out of support now, you should really upgrade if you can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@pgadmin

It is strange that after the rescan he has to repair the package.
Is it not that the version installed on that server is obosolete or the server has other problems?
I have never come across that message honestly.

Userlevel 4

@Link State

No, everything is fine as far as I can tell, and Agent MSI setup file is extracted from the Console install dir, so can’t be a version mismatch. Like I said, it does repairing if I install the Agent from the MSI package manually. Double-click, I agree, next, next… Such agent has GUI on finish. After Rescan, GUI disappears, so I think what Console’s repairing does is converts that GUI-version to be used with Console. I wanted to know the steps to manually reproduce Console’s repairing of package to decrease the installation time.

Userlevel 4

do you need to manually install the Agent? Could VBR deploy the agent for you and control the backup policy? If so just ... create a backup job policy as normal.

Need is not the right word, but since I forced to install manually other services, I thought it would be nice to install the Agent along. Figures out there’s no easy way like an option key for MSI package, so it’s indeed better leave all the work to Console.

Comment