How to archive in tapes the Veeam Office 365 repository

• 21 September 2021
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 3

Hello,

I understand that there are no a tape backup option directly in VOB, however we can use VBR, so I would like to know what is the “best practice” to archive every year in tapes.

Our initial full backup took 7TB, then, because we configured 7 years of retention, we’ll keep all the messages and we’ll have around 7TB more per year, so how we can manage that in tapes if we don’t want to buy more disk?

Thanks in advance,

Omar De Souza.

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The issue you may have here with VBR is the backup size of the VBO server as you would need to run a backup job to the VBR server on disk then run a tape job after to tape it out.  This does take time depending on the size of the VBO server.

As an example we did something similar (no tape but disk) where we backed up a VBO server that was running a clients backups and the initial backup took just over 5 days to complete due the size of the data drive on VBO (35TB).  After that the incremental backups are not bad and move faster.  Also if you are using Fast Cloning repos like ReFS or XFS that helps too.

If you are looking for something a little more simple then Object Storage in VBO is very good as well for storing data too and in the end may cost less.

Userlevel 1

Depending on the size of your O365 environment, it might be impossible to download the O365 environment.   I have Rack Space back it up on their end.

Userlevel 3

I thought to execute a VBR backup every year, maybe on december 31th, then do a complete clean-up of the VBO database, but is there a way to  exclude messages from the last years in a VOB job?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I thought to execute a VBR backup every year, maybe on december 31th, then do a complete clean-up of the VBO database, but is there a way to  exclude messages from the last years in a VOB job?

You would need to clean up VBO first before doing your backup as it would include everything since it is a database.  I believe there are commands you can run to remove stuff in PowerShell here -

Remove-VBOEntityData - Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 PowerShell Reference

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am not sure, if removing will do anything here.

The vbo files will not be smaller. I am note sure if veeam can compress the empty blocks in a vbo 365 database. It depends on what data is left there. 
But It‘s the same technology as Exchange databases. Could be working

Userlevel 3

My problem is the VBO repository disk, now it has 10TB but if I decide to keep all the messages for the next 7 years, I’ll need a disk of 50TB and I want to avoid that, I would like to keep the disk in 10TB, then at the end of every year execute a VBR backup and tape backup, do a clean-up of the repository space and finally change the job to backup only the new messages (or exclude the old messages), is that possible?

Comment