Have a new Veeam server for a client. Got everything setup and ready to go, but ended up needing to change the hostname for the server itself. No worries. I’ve done that many a time. Business as usual...except afterward, the Veeam Backup Service refused to start not matter what I did. Rebooted the server, tried manually starting it, ran Windows update, change to Auto Start without delay. Nothing worked. My gut was telling me the hostname change was the cause of this, but I just wasn’t sure.
Then I found this magical article by our very own, MicoolPaul, and it was exactly what I needed. The hostname change was indeed the issue. Veeam was trying to connect to a SQL database using a hostname that no longer existed...because we changed it! I manually changed the hostname prefix for the SQL DB using the Veeam Configuration Data Connection Settings tool, and this seems to have done the trick! Thank you so much