How MicoolPaul saved my bacon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Have a new Veeam server for a client. Got everything setup and ready to go, but ended up needing to change the hostname for the server itself. No worries. I’ve done that many a time. Business as usual...except afterward, the Veeam Backup Service refused to start not matter what I did. Rebooted the server, tried manually starting it, ran Windows update, change to Auto Start without delay. Nothing worked. My gut was telling me the hostname change was the cause of this, but I just wasn’t sure.

Then I found this magical article by our very own, MicoolPaul, and it was exactly what I needed. The hostname change was indeed the issue. Veeam was trying to connect to a SQL database using a hostname that no longer existed...because we changed it! I manually changed the hostname prefix for the SQL DB using the Veeam Configuration Data Connection Settings tool, and this seems to have done the trick! Thank you so much @MicoolPaul! You are wonderful!

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice to see articles from the community helping real life situations.  👍🏼😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Totally agree. It was happenstance that my Googlefu brought me across it. It was one of those extremely rare situations where it was exactly the issue I was dealing with that he was writing about, and his solution was the exact solution that I needed. It seems like most of the time you find stuff related to what you’re dealing with, and it’s similar, but not exactly what you’re dealing with, but the solution for the similar issue can point you in the direction of the solution you need, or maybe you get lucky and the solution is identical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, I’ve run into this a few times as well...super easy to fix fortunately!  I’m not certain that @MicoolPaul’s article isn’t what I’ve found as well, although I know there is a Veeam KB on this also.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

May the Veeam community be with you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

😍 this has made my day!

Thank you for sharing this story @bp4JC, it’s exactly why I write, to pass the knowledge forwards and try to write the articles I wished I could’ve found for my issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is why we blog/share content ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Nice article and story, this is one of the things of what is the community about!

😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Great share, @bp4JC and @MicoolPaul → This is why we are here! Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This is why I try and read every post in here. At least I can trigger that little thing in my brain saying “I’ve seen this somewhere before”

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

May the Veeam community be with you!

A Star Wars reference will always garner a like from me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

😍 this has made my day!

Thank you for sharing this story @bp4JC, it’s exactly why I write, to pass the knowledge forwards and try to write the articles I wished I could’ve found for my issues.

It’s exactly what I needed and I totally found it through happenstance. Thank you writing it!

Comment