Fun Friday: What's your tech/office space setup?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Happy Friday from me to you all today!

Today’s Fun Friday is a random one. I moved home this week and last night I was putting together my new office and thought to myself, I wonder if everyone else has as much random tech as me?

So my question to you all is, what does your workspace/computer space look like?

Hasn’t got to be pictures, but just little things like, how many screens? Any servers/lab tech?

Favourite gadget in there such as a streamdeck or a ring light etc?

For me, my favourite little gadget is my Crash Bandicoot “Cable Guy” that holds my Xbox controller!

I’ve got 2x 28” screens and I’m really happy I finally have a long enough wall that both my screens can sit next to each other instead of at a near 90 degree angle! (It’s not good for the spine to twist that much in your chair constantly!) And because of this longer wall I no longer have my server lab under my feet so I can actually STRETCH!!!

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Happy Friday from me to you all today!

For me, my favourite little gadget is my Crash Bandicoot “Cable Guy” that holds my Xbox controller!

I’ve got 2x 28” screens and I’m really happy I finally have a long enough wall that both my screens can sit next to each other instead of at a near 90 degree angle! (It’s not good for the spine to twist that much in your chair constantly!) And because of this longer wall I no longer have my server lab under my feet so I can actually STRETCH!!!

@MicoolPaul Same setup, two montior 27" full HD 144 Hz Asus TUF VD2791R 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have basically gotten two external monitors as well.  One from ACER 60,1 cm and the other from ASUS VP28UQGL 71,1 cm. 
> I wonder if everyone else has as much random tech as me?
- This is never an unending process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I only use 1 Screen (Samsung Odyssey G7).

Never liked to have two screens to organize my open applications :)

My laptop is in the docking station, but I don’t use the laptop screen for work at home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have two 27” Screens and my Notebook in dockstation with external keyboard/mouse.

Sometimes I have additional notebooks for special customers. Therefore I have a KVM Switch for both screens, keyboard and mouse for 4 machines. So I can switch between the notebooks and my private PC at one workplace.

And yes… random hardware is there 😎 Much… Too much says my wife… 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

One 34" ultra widescreen used with my Lenovo X1 Extreme laptop for work. Also have 4 NUCs that are my lab connected to Synology DS920+ with an expansion shelf connected as well for about 55TB of storage. Also have my 16 port switch for all connections.

Also have sitting on the side my Sager laptop with Windows 10 for testing things, etc.  

Also got the 3GB Bell Fiber internet too. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

One 34" ultra widescreen used with my Lenovo X1 Extreme laptop for work. Also have 4 NUCs that are my lab connected to Synology DS920+ with an expansion shelf connected as well for about 55TB of storage. Also have my 16 port switch for all connections.

Also have sitting on the side my Sager laptop with Windows 10 for testing things, etc.  

@Chris.Childerhose 

Which NUC model are you using? I’m considering to buy NUC 11 Extreme someday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose

Which NUC model are you using? I’m considering to buy NUC 11 Extreme someday.

These are old skull canyon I think with the 6600HQ processors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What virt solution do you have running on these NUCs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have VMware running on them. I also have the USB NIC fling installed as I have one per NUC along with the onboard ones. Gives me a bit more bandwidth but it is not 10GB.

I need to update two of them to 64GB of RAM to match the other two. Tried to run VSAN on them but just too much hence the Synology NAS.

The licenses are from vExpert and VMUG combined.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I only use 1 Screen (Samsung Odyssey G7).

Never liked to have two screens to organize my open applications :)

My laptop is in the docking station, but I don’t use the laptop screen for work at home.

Oh, I was watching for a Samsung Odyssey G7 34” 1440, at the moment I’m with an HP Pavilion 27” + laptop monitor.

This is a crazy amazing setup! 😍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have VMware running on them. I also have the USB NIC fling installed as I have one per NUC along with the onboard ones. Gives me a bit more bandwidth but it is not 10GB.

I need to update two of them to 64GB of RAM to match the other two. Tried to run VSAN on them but just too much hence the Synology NAS.

Thank you very much for the information @Chris.Childerhose! looks cost effective… Will be considered greatly...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

A picture is worth a thousand words - and this picture says my desk is a MESS.  But for some words, four 24” screens, two in the middle are vertical.  Looking into changing out to a single curved…..30” or 36” or something like that with two vertical’s on the side.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you very much for the information @Chris.Childerhose! looks cost effective… Will be considered greatly...

Thanks it was very cost effective for sure.

My first post in the community and it’s one of my obsessions. :)

My main daily driver desk has a homebuilt Ryzen 5 mid-tower on the side (eventually going underneath) and a Dell U3419W widescreen monitor. Logitech 920 camera, old Bose QC35 (OG) headset, Orico USB hub clamped to the desk for dongles (Bluetooth, Logi Lightspeed, Logi Unifying for now). Sit/stand adapter picked up at Goodwill today for half price will go under the monitor and get the G613 keyboard and M570 trackball eventually. Mac unifying keyboard and M575 trackball will go in the desk keyboard tray when I get dual KVM on the monitor figured out. 

Sit stand desk from Costco behind me has a Lenovo P50 laptop and another U3419W display, Logi wired gaming keyboard and a mouse for now, Centercam camera and two Lume Cube lights (one from an Amazon deal two years ago next week, one from Goodwill a couple months ago), mostly used for videoconferencing. 

My original desk (from 8 years ago) is in the corner, it’s an IKEA FREDDE that I put in when we moved into this house. It has my Synology gear, an Oreck XL air cleaner, a Cloudlet Case from C4 labs with four Pi3b+ boards, and a 43” 4k Dell monitor that I got really cheap two years ago by stacking Dell and Amex promotions during the start of the pandemic. 

Not much active lab gear in the house - that’s what the garage is for. But I do have a NUC with a stack of external drives farming Chia, a BOXX Render Pro 2 dual xeon miniworkstation that’s still looking for a use, and a beer fridge and wine fridge near the sit/stand desk (because sometimes homelab work requires adult beverages, or at least chilled water). 

Comment