Flashcards for Studying

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I know a lot of you are busy studying for various exams. I like to use flashcards for memorization. 

I use Anki as it is free and can be installed on laptops and phones. https://apps.ankiweb.net/

I generally create my questions/answers on my laptop and then use the flashcards whenever I get free moment on my phone. 

17 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks for sharing @Geoff Burke . A great alternative for sure. I personally am not a flash card person for tech exams as tech exams aren't really what I call 'static' anymore. i.e. port numbers, a setting or tab, etc. Exams tend to be more conceptual / situational & so this method could lead to knowledge gaps...at least for me. For others can indeed be a viable source. I actually will give this a look to see what it offers.

Cheers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing @Geoff Burke

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I will check this one out as I typically use Flashcard Hero but this could be an alternative.  Thanks for sharing @Geoff Burke 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks for sharing @Geoff Burke . A great alternative for sure. I personally am not a flash card person for tech exams as tech exams aren't really what I call 'static' anymore. i.e. port numbers, a setting or tab, etc. Exams tend to be more conceptual / situational & so this method could lead to knowledge gaps...at least for me. For others can indeed be a viable source. I actually will give this a look to see what it offers.

Cheers! 

I fully agree. The Linux Foundation exams for example are all command line, solve problems, set stuff up so only practice, practice, practice will work for them. I remember profusely sweating during the 3 hour CKA exam (now 2 hours but I don’t know if that is a good thing to be honest :)). What I find is that I have to at bare minimum memorize as much as possible so that it fits into muscle memory, then I can struggle with the “figure it out ad hoc things”. That way at least I save time. During the CKA I was doing the old copy and paste of a yaml file and the indentation was nuked… that is a time killer but since I had pretty much memorized what needed to go where I got out more or less alive. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Glad to hear you passed! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Glad to hear you passed! 😊

It was the toughest I have ever done, right at the gong I finished the last question. As some of you know all these proctored exams have their funny moments like you are not allowed to mouth the questions, I guess because you could have someone lip reading and then somehow transmitting your solutions through a hidden earpiece or something :) , at one point I got a tricky deployment exposure question via ingress and I said to myself “Oh Sh...i… t” to which immediately I got a “No mouthing the questions” warning from the proctor :) I did not bother wasting time explaining and just kept my mouth shut and lips immobile for the rest of the exam. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Oh gosh! 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Geoff Burke , I personally I’m not a big fan of flashcards. If I have to take exams (like VMCA and VMCE), I read all the study material and make a recap of all important things. For me a structure in this recap is very important (for VBR this is also important, because several things are different in using vSphere or HyperV). Then I study my recap and then to test myself I’m a big fan of questions with multple choice answers like the real exam is. Therefore, the video’s of @haslund are a perfect example to test yourself. Not only you are sure that you have it right, but you have also an explanation why. If every vendor would have someone like Rasmus making those greate video’s, it would gives ourselves more assurance of knowing the content as we should before making the exam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well installed Anki and will compare this to Flashcard Hero to see.  Great time for this as I am beginning to study for VMCE2020 and also some VMware VCP/VCAPs. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Good luck with the studies and with your exams Chris!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Good luck with the studies and with your exams Chris!

Thanks Shane.  I won’t need much studying for VMCE2020 just things around Hyper-V since I don’t use it daily at all. LOL

For VMware I plan to use your study guide again for VCP and then do VCAPs after that. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Don’t forget to look at VeeamONE. Seriously. 

Hope my Guide helps you bud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Don’t forget to look at VeeamONE. Seriously. 

Hope my Guide helps you bud.

Yeah we use Veeam ONE where I am so I have allot of experience with it.  Will brush up though as always.

I am sure your guide will help as it has in the past. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well installed Anki and will compare this to Flashcard Hero to see.  Great time for this as I am beginning to study for VMCE2020 and also some VMware VCP/VCAPs. :sunglasses:

Good luck for your studies, Hope we will see best practices guide from you !

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Good luck for your studies, Hope we will see best practices guide from you !

If time permits I will try to put something together at least a blog post about experience and recommendations for sure.  Study guides take allot more time which is hard to come by these days.  LOL

Comment