Feature Request: Backup Rules for Microsoft 365 Backup

Userlevel 1

We would like to be able Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 to specific rules around Which Mailboxes/Site/Teams that are being backed up for automated purposes.

Examples.

Being able to specific mailboxes whose UPN contain specific domains

Licensed Mailboxes Only.

Exclude Shared Mailboxes

SharePoint Sites/Teams whose has specific Owners

3 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Hussam 

Afaik not standard possible with the job creation wizard. You could write a powershell script that first fetches the objects witch apply to your specifix query from the M365 environment.

Then with this set of objects you could created a job and run it immediatly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

In the current implementation of VB365 this would be a bad idea, and the reason being is enumeration and the API calls required for this.

To ensure as complete a backup as possible is taken, when your backup job starts, it enumerates the lists of inclusions and exclusions. It’s currently recommended that you don’t use exclusions for things like groups as they need to be enumerated and checked against all your inclusions for any matches.

You’d be better off creating dynamic M365 groups that contain the users that meet your requirements, and targeting your backup jobs to process them only.

This should help for most of your criteria there, as for sites with specific owners, again enumerating that information would be a pain so I’d suggest an out-of-band background script to refresh the list of sites that meet that criteria and then update your VB365 job with those sites to include.

I see the value in what you’re saying but until we can get an async refresh of this data, it can be very messy.

Disclaimer: I don’t write any VB365 product code, but this is based off conversations with Veeam employees and related training

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We would like to be able Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 to specific rules around Which Mailboxes/Site/Teams that are being backed up for automated purposes.

Examples.

Being able to specific mailboxes whose UPN contain specific domains

Licensed Mailboxes Only.

Exclude Shared Mailboxes

SharePoint Sites/Teams whose has specific Owners

I submitted a feature request in the R&D Forums for some of this a few weeks ago.  Mike Ressler replied and noted a few workarounds but also noted that some of these requests would involve querying Azure AD.  One of the suggests, just as @MicoolPaul noted was to utilize dynamic groups which I agree is a great idea, but I’ve run into some of the limitations with dynamic groups.  I didn’t get too far into the details of it, but you can read that thread here.  I believe what I was trying to do is add Shared or Resource mailboxes to a dynamic security group, but was running into issues with adding that mailbox type.  I did find some results stating that it may be possible using the Powershell, but I didn’t get very far into making that work and ended up working on other tasks.  For the time being, I’ll need to just check and validate that they are updated manually.  Mike did note that in future releases VB365 will indicate shared and resource mailboxes as such and not list them as User Mailboxes which will at least make that selection a bit easier.  

My recommendation for other items on your list is to put it out there in the R&D Forums.  As Michael noted, some of those may not be feasible just as some of my suggestions were, but it’s pretty amazing what those whiz-bang guys over in R&D can come up with as well!

Comment