Solved

Error when adding hyper-v 2019 standalone on veeam B&R 11 installed in windows server 2016

Userlevel 3

Hi every body,

Please i need help to add hyper-v2019 on veeam B&R11 installed in windows server 2016 standard virtual machine. When i add the host hyper-v2019 i have the error bellow :

“Failed to connect to host 
Access denied or timeout expired.
Check if you have local administrator privileges on computer .
Possible reasons:
Invalid credentials.
Specified host is not a Hyper-V server. (System.Exception)”

But i add hyper-v2016 on the same veeam B&R11 successfully.

the account i use in veeam is added in the hyper-v 2019 host local administrator group

File and printing share is active and authorized in windows firewall in the hyper-v 2019 host. i can open the folder \\hyper-v 2019 host\c$ successfully on the virtual machine in which veeam B&R11 is installed.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 13 June 2021, 15:18

View original

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hey @akd79 ...did you verify the system requirements/permissions for Hyper-V? Check them out here.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Are you using a similar account? It looks like you’re using a local to HV account and not a domain account? Entering correct user pwd? Did you install Hyper-V first? From your error, looks like you haven’t enabled HV on the server yet?

Userlevel 3

Hey @akd79 ...did you verify the system requirements/permissions for Hyper-V? Check them out here.

Cheers!

yes. but i will rechech again.

Userlevel 3

Are you using a similar account? It looks like you’re using a local to HV account and not a domain account? Entering correct user pwd? Did you install Hyper-V first? From your error, looks like you haven’t enabled HV on the server yet?

Yes it is similar account and it is a domain adminitrator account dedicated for veeam installation. i add the account in the local administrator group in the hyper-v 2016 host, the hyper-v 2019 host, Virtual Machine in which veeam is installed. Veeam is installed under the same account.

How can i enable hyper-v on the veeam server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Well, I assumed what you did was install Windows Server 2019 on a physical host then enabled Hyper-V. Then after, you created a Windows Server 2019 VM and installed Veeam v11 on it and are trying to add the physical Hyper-V host to test with and/or backup VMs on it?

I would check the Hyper-V deployment checklist here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey @akd79 ...did you verify the system requirements/permissions for Hyper-V? Check them out here.

Cheers!

This is definitely the place to start. Also the main help page for Hyper-V as well - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/overview.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

To elaborate on this, based on your subject title, is this a Hyper-V edition of Windows Server or Windows Server 2019 with the Hyper-V role installed?

Most common troubleshooting steps:

•  If your Hyper-V server isn’t domain joined, ensure the local user is formatted as “.\<Username>“
  • If this is a Windows Server 2019 installation, make sure the service has been installed and then the server rebooted
  • Does the server have UAC control enabled? UAC being enabled and having a non-domain joined server can cause problems accessing the admin shares for component deployment
  • Does the server have Windows Firewall or a third-party firewall installed? Are the required ports opened if so?

Userlevel 3

Well, I assumed what you did was install Windows Server 2019 on a physical host then enabled Hyper-V. Then after, you created a Windows Server 2019 VM and installed Veeam v11 on it and are trying to add the physical Hyper-V host to test with and/or backup VMs on it?

The project is to replicate a virtual machine “VM1” in which SAGE Enterprise with sql server is installed. VM1 is in a physical host “HOST1” where we installed windows server 2016 and enabled Hyper-v. the veaam sever is a virtual machine “VM2” in HOST1. VM1 and VM2 were on windows server 2016. Now we buy a new physical server HOST2 in wich we install windows server 2019 and enable hyper-v. We have to replicate VM1 to HOST2. So I install veeam B&R 11 in VM2 and add HOST1 as Microsoft Hyper-v Server Standalone successfully.  The error occur whe i add HOST2 as Microsoft Hyper-v Server Standalone.

All Host and VM are in the same domain AD. Domain Controller is another host “HOST0”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The project is to replicate a virtual machine “VM1” in which SAGE Enterprise with sql server is installed. VM1 is in a physical host “HOST1” where we installed windows server 2016 and enabled Hyper-v. the veaam sever is a virtual machine “VM2” in HOST1. VM1 and VM2 were on windows server 2016. Now we buy a new physical server HOST2 in wich we install windows server 2019 and enable hyper-v. We have to replicate VM1 to HOST2. So I install veeam B&R 11 in VM2 and add HOST1 as Microsoft Hyper-v Server Standalone successfully.  The error occur whe i add HOST2 as Microsoft Hyper-v Server Standalone.

All Host and VM are in the same domain AD. Domain Controller is another host “HOST0”.

Are you trying to connect via IP or FQDN? Just wondering if you have a DNS issue resolving the new host’s name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Nothing you shared you're trying to do seems out of sorts. Should work. Not sure what else you can try. At this point, about the only other thing I can suggest is contact Veeam support to check the logs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @akd79 , as @MicoolPaul already mentioned, perhaps a DNS-issue. Try to use always at first FQDN, verify if a A-record and PTR-records exists in DNS with the correct ip-address. If that is not working, try with IP-Address.

Doublecheck if nothing wrong is configured in the hosts file of the VBR server.

Success

Userlevel 4

Hi,

To elaborate on this, based on your subject title, is this a Hyper-V edition of Windows Server or Windows Server 2019 with the Hyper-V role installed?

Most common troubleshooting steps:

•  If your Hyper-V server isn’t domain joined, ensure the local user is formatted as “.\<Username>“
  • If this is a Windows Server 2019 installation, make sure the service has been installed and then the server rebooted
  • Does the server have UAC control enabled? UAC being enabled and having a non-domain joined server can cause problems accessing the admin shares for component deployment
  • Does the server have Windows Firewall or a third-party firewall installed? Are the required ports opened if so?

Thanks @MicoolPaul, the “.\” before the administator account fixed my problem.

I did notice that to resolve these issues, both servers must be 100% patched and upto date, dont try any other changes, until both physical servers that have the Hyper V Role installed, have been patched and are upto date with the same patches applied, Reboot both severs twice - bingo, should all be working.

Hello.

i write here because i get the same error setting up Veeam Backup for Standalone HyperV

I use Server 2019 Std. Role only HyperV (Single Workgoup) - ComputerName: HOST01

Only Networkdetection was enable with firsttime bring the Server to the new IP Range

My Set-up:

VM1   Windows10pro (Single Workgroup) with VEEAM B&R V12

VM2   Domain-DC

VM3   Domain-File

VM4   Linux-WEB (Single Workgroup)

VM5   Domain-W10-CAD-WS

while Installing Veeam i get “Failed to connect to host 
Access denied or timeout expired.
Check if you have local administrator privileges on computer .
Possible reasons:Invalid credentials. “

I need nothing with UAC, Firewall, etc.

I check that \\Host01\c$ will work with .\Adminitrator + password

For VEEAM i solve my problem with credentials:   HOST01\Administrator + password

.\ was not working, PCName was needed.

Hope it will help someone...

regards

Joerg

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you are still experiencing the same issue, I suggest checking the HyperV event log. Although this issue can be tricky to resolve, taking a look at the event log will help you save time. Additionally, I found three similar issues related to this problem not been resolved so far. Therefore, I will create a post and link to all three issues for your reference.

I would recommend taking a look at this guide: https://bp.veeam.com/security/Design-and-implementation/Hardening/Windows_Backup_Repository.html

But, you no longer have to explicitly grant remote DCOM access, activation, and launch rights to the account. This is because of the hardening applied by Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5004442-manage-changes-for-windows-dcom-server-security-feature-bypass-cve-2021-26414-f1400b52-c141-43d2-941e-37ed901c769c Kindly take out time to read this piece.

If you find the following error in your log “The server's authentication level policy does not allow the HOST\Administrator SID (xxxxxxx) from address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to activate the DCOM server. Increase activation authentication level by at least RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_PKT_INTEGRITY in application”,

Please update your VBR Server and then, you should be able to add the hyperV host to the Veeam inventory. This was also treated here: https://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper-v-f25/failed-to-connect-hyper-v-standalone-t61310.html

I would like to request an update to this piece: https://bp.veeam.com/security/Design-and-implementation/Hardening/Windows_Backup_Repository.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @akd79 , as @MicoolPaul already mentioned, perhaps a DNS-issue. Try to use always at first FQDN, verify if a A-record and PTR-records exists in DNS with the correct ip-address. If that is not working, try with IP-Address.

Doublecheck if nothing wrong is configured in the hosts file of the VBR server.

Success

I did notice that to resolve these issues, both servers must be 100% patched and upto date, dont try any other changes, until both physical servers that have the Hyper V Role installed, have been patched and are upto date with the same patches applied, Reboot both severs twice - bingo, should all be working.

+1 

Comment