Solved

Can Veeam Community license create Backup Copy jobs?

• 10 November 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 3

I’m using Veeam Community (free) license, and I want to use swapped external hard drives as offsite backup for my locally hosted repository.  But when I try to create a pruning Backup Copy job, it keeps saying I need Backup and Replication Enterprise Plus.  

The descriptions I’ve read make it sound easy, but they’re all vague about what sort of license is required.  It’s like they are conflating “community” as a forum and as a license?  I absolutely cannot upgrade to a paid license.

What am I missing?

icon

Best answer by Wallewek 12 November 2023, 19:10

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Community only allows backup jobs and for so many workloads.  Once you get to features like Backup Copy jobs you need a license unfortunately.  No way around it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmm...according to Veeam’s feature comparison amongst their product Editions, Copy Jobs are available in the Communty Edition, as noted on pg. 6

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hmm...according to Veeam’s feature comparison amongst their product Editions, Copy Jobs are available in the Communty Edition, as noted on pg. 6

That is odd I missed that part.  Good catch Shane.  So, in theory copy jobs should work then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Chris - I actually thought BCJs not being allowed would be odd, and didn’t really remember seeing/reading that anywhere so looked it up. It’s essentially the same thing as a BU, but just taking the backups themselves and transferring them to some other repo and/or site location. Nothing really ‘enterprise-level’ about the process really.

Hey @Wallewek , can you share the explicit process of what you’re trying to do which provokes your error? Maybe a screenshot of the step if possible, as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This all depends on your backup target as for example you can add object storage for recovery in community/standard edition, but to back up to object storage you need the VUL or Enterprise. Let us know what storage you’re trying to back up to and what the source job type is (VM/Agent/NAS etc) and we can go from there. The link @coolsport00 shared gives a great license/feature breakdown to help narrow this down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Do you use the WAN accelerator or SOBR function? If you do, those need an enterprise plus license.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Depends on the target storage, sobr and object storage are not supported in community editions. However, backup copy job is supported 

Userlevel 3

I figured out my problem! 

As I was going through the “Next” steps to set up my first backup copy job, on the Data Transfer page, before I had a chance to make a selection, I was presented with a highlighted warning that it needed Enterprise Plus edition.  This is one of those “decoy” warnings that seems obvious to those who have done it before.  Typical bad UI design and testing.
I now understand that I should ignore it. I shouldn’t have had to.

There was something else too, but I can’t see it now.

Comment