Solved

Backup server planning

• 12 October 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 4

Greetings everyone...

I am working out the resources for physical backup server with local disks. Might I know if my workout is correct?

Data size: 30TB (Exchange + File Share)

Policy: 30 daily, 4 weekly, 12 monthly, 3 yearly

Source: Sangfor HCI (requires to install agent), single site

As refer to VSE https://calculator.veeam.com/vse/

Backup Server + DB + Repository = 8 CPU, 20GB RAM for Veeam to work

(No Proxy and Enterprise Manager required)

And will add some resources for Windows OS

Regarding storage, 249.43TB from VSE

So I add some buffer and for Windows OS with ~300TB disks space

Assumptions:

ReFS

No backup copy job

Generic Pessimistic: daily change 10%, compress ratio 50%, annual growth 10%

Is my thinking correctly?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 12 October 2023, 21:48

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Your space calculation seems to be correct based on what your restore points are going to be and data size.

The statement about No Proxy required is false as the Veeam Backup Server will act as the proxy server as well so you need to ensure that you account for this in your calculations for the CPU/RAM.  You will need more than what you have indicated that I can tell you for sure.

Also, if you are getting a physical box to be the Veeam server most new servers come with multi-core CPUs now and can handle the load but ensure you get enough RAM in the box too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, a Proxy is required..as is a Repository, but it appears you’re using an ‘all-in-one’ VBR server, which installs those roles by default. That being said, at first glance..yes..you look like you’re on the right pace. If you wanna double-check the VSE calculator, you can do manual calculations from the BP Guide as shown here

And yes..using ReFS is recommended, with 64KB Alloc Unit; and compression estimate is correct; daily chg rate is always about what you state..that or sometimes 5%.

You should be good.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for advice.

Might I ask if below statements are correct?

1. Proxy is required whenever for VM backup

2. Agent is required to be installed on backup source whenever for physical server backup

While my case is VM on Sangfor HCI, with checked vendor it does not support agentless backup

So the solution is that both proxy and agent are required?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, a Proxy is required, but as I mentioned, that rule installs by default on the VBR server, as did a default Repo. 

Yes, you can install the Windows Agent & do your backup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In other words, regarding the Proxy, you don't necessarily have to install a separate server to house the Proxy role, as it's already on the VBR server by default 😊 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It looks like a giant Veeam B&R Server though!

I usually like to have one Proxy Server per vmware host when Im backing up vms, it makes the work smoothly and keeps that extra weight away from the Veeam Server.

Your Veeam Server will act as a Proxy by default, so no extra needed, but recommended.

For the vms with no Veeam support, Veeam agent will definitely do the job.

Nowadays I assume that giving extra resources to your Veeam Server, CPU, RAM, is not crazy, I would suggest to hyper hidrate it, due to in a while you will create more tasks, add more servers and explore other options, and all these, consumes resources, 😉

Last but not least, question, any plans for secondary destiny? Copy? Out of the office?

3-2-1-1-0 ?

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, as you’ve said you’re only going to do agent backups, correct you don’t need a proxy role. You can uninstall the proxy role from the VBR server if not needed 🙂

Out of curiosity how many agents are you expecting to deploy?

Your all-in-one server specs are good but there’s one thing missing: ReFS RAM requirements. ReFS requires a lot of RAM to successfully manage the storage in a performant way. The sum is 0.5GB RAM per 1TB storage. Up to 256GB RAM then you’re just fine really keeping it there. It’s not an exact science but at your size definitely not less than 128GB RAM for ReFS. So 300TB * 0.5GB RAM = 150GB RAM needed + your other requirements taking you to 170GB RAM, so I’d say go for at least 192 or 256GB RAM depending on vendor RAM config recommendations. If you’ve got the ability to scale storage further in the future, maybe invest in 256GB now.

For your OS and Veeam database & applications, be sure to pop those on an SSD/NVMe in RAID1 👍 Dell do BOSS cards and other vendors have similar options.

And finally, as you have to license a minimum of 16 Windows Server CPU Cores, get 16 CPU cores 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry for the delay in response…

As Michael said, if you’re only doing Agent backups, then no...no Proxy is required. Just for image-based (VM) backups.

Comment