Question

After patching, does updating components require reboot?

Userlevel 3
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 7 comments

After patching our VBR v11 to the latest 2023 patch due to the latest CVE reported, I’m asked to "Select Servers to update….”.

Some of those servers in the list are production. Does this process require a reboot on those servers?

Can I wait for a bit (days until a team decides when to reboot the aforementioned servers) and hope that no backups will be impacted if I don’t update right now?

Regards

O

13 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m running v12 and I didn’t have to reboot any servers.  VBR does shut down and restart but the hosting server doesn’t have to.

Userlevel 3

I’m running v12 and I didn’t have to reboot any servers.  VBR does shut down and restart but the hosting server doesn’t have to.

it says here Update required for “Installer, Transport”

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Normally you don't have to reboot the other infrastructure servers. Sometimes a managed server has to be rebooted after a service is deinstalled or installed.

The installation wizard will tell you if a reboot of the VBR server or a managed server is necessary or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

After patching our VBR v11 to the latest 2023 patch due to the latest CVE reported, I’m asked to "Select Servers to update….”.

Some of those servers in the list are production. Does this process require a reboot on those servers?

Can I wait for a bit (days until a team decides when to reboot the aforementioned servers) and hope that no backups will be impacted if I don’t update right now?

Regards

O

The answer to this is “it depends” as there is a chance it may or may not require a reboot.  I would suggest updating all components though as it can stop backups from running properly and if you do it prior to scheduled jobs there should be no issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

it says here Update required for “Installer, Transport”

Yes it needs to update these.  So allow it to.

Userlevel 3

I just clicked on the Refresh button and now it only shows “Transport”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I just clicked on the Refresh button and now it only shows “Transport”.

Ok well that is one of the main components for Veeam so you should update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Regards

O

No reboot is needed. I’ve updated 2 servers today without reboot. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

We also pulled the trigger today and apart of stopping & starting Veeam services, no reboot is needed. Did this on a classic VBR and Cloud Connect environment without any problem.

Regards,

Kristof

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I did install the v11a patches for some customers. One has more than 50 hosts (or clusters) and hundreds of VMs, and no reboot requirements exist.  I hope it helps.

1. Ensure all jobs’ statuses are successful.
  2. Disable all jobs.
  3. Stop Veeam services (optional)
  4. Install the patch.
  5. start Veeam services
  6. update Veeam components for all Servers.
  7. reenable all jobs

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have upgraded several servers today. All but one needed no reboot. One if them (a V12) requested a reboot.

So, it is possible that a reboot is needed.

Userlevel 3

I just performed the component updates, and no reboot was required. This is of course my first time doing this, so I was being extra careful since we run many VMs in those servers and are all production.

Thank you guys you are all are awesome.  I’m still wondering why it showed “Installer, Transport” and then later to “Transport” only. 🤔

Regards

O

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I did install the v11a patches for some customers. One has more than 50 hosts (or clusters) and hundreds of VMs, and no reboot requirements exist.  I hope it helps.

1. Ensure all jobs’ statuses are successful.
  2. Disable all jobs.
  3. Stop Veeam services (optional)
  4. Install the patch.
  5. start Veeam services
  6. update Veeam components for all Servers.
  7. reenable all jobs

Good luck!

Adding, at step 2, to perform a backup configuration before to start upgrade. 

Comment