Ransomware but no backups

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Let's think about a situation where we cannot access our backups, either because they are absent or, perhaps even worse, corrupts, out of date or encrypted. Exactly, we're trying to resolve a ransomware situation with no backup. What to do in these cases?

I could say don't panic, but I'd be lying.

The situation is critical, but with some precautions in my experience you can heavily limit the damage and, in rare cases, even resolve the situation.

First of all we need to look at what can be recover. Shadow copies are essentials. It may happen that by a stroke of luck not all of them have been touched or, in other cases, a good part of them is still accessible. Here, the first thing to do is to save the savable by exporting it to a different disk than the starting one, because if you export into the original disk, you risk losing the present shadow. To do so, at first you must use the Microsoft explorer integrated tools, but if for an unfortunate reason it doesn’t works, there’s a tool called "ShadowExplorer 0.9" that comes in help to the rescue directly from shadows.

(https://www.shadowexplorer.com)

Another thing to consider is the possibility that the ransomware that hit you has already been resolved and the decryptor has been calculated and publicly released. How? There are various online, I publish two of the most popular. With these you can try to restore your files, but beware: your structure is to be considered compromised and Zero Trust thinking must be adopted. The structure must be redone from zero and patched, so as not to end up with the same vulnerability that led you to the current situation.

(https://noransom.kaspersky.com/)

(https://www.nomoreransom.org/)

Another feasible solution can be to go and search among the deleted files of your backup storages, looking for a .vbk file whose blocks have been deleted but still accessible through disk recovery programs. As you know when a file is deleted, the sectors of that file are marked as deleted, but not really deleted from the disk until they are overwritten. If you have a very large backup storage available, there may be the possibility that is your trump and save the situation.

(https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva)

These are only three possible ways to deal with a disaster recovery situation without backup and what I am about to say is obvious: backups are essential and must always be accessible and functional. You're on Veeam community, aren't you?

24 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks Marco.

Shadow explorer looks very interesting. CCleaner has been a go to for for years. I did not know about nomoreransom.org. Great links.

As for the other product mentioned here, just my humble advice would be to avoid it at all costs. 

cheers

Geoff

Great article!
Just for the record, not all the servers or IT Admins activate the shadow copies, and also some ransoms delete the shadow copies, and then start encrypting the whole thing.
For me, my life jacket was and is always Veeam. and when it comes to recovery, I had to take files from backups, and sometimes from replicas.
Thanks for the info! it's always important to look behind and refresh the basis.
Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing Marco. Interesting things to check out other than one of those links.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great article!
Just for the record, not all the servers or IT Admins activate the shadow copies, and also some ransoms delete the shadow copies, and then start encrypting the whole thing.
For me, my life jacket was and is always Veeam. and when it comes to recovery, I had to take files from backups, and sometimes from replicas.
Thanks for the info! it's always important to look behind and refresh the basis.
Regards,

Great input @HunterLF as well!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for sharing @marcofabbri. I will find time and play with this tool “ShadowExplorer 0.9”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks @marcofabbri 

Also wanted to add that if your Storage Array supports it, enable storage snapshots too! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @marcofabbri 

Also wanted to add that if your Storage Array supports it, enable storage snapshots too! 

Yes absolutely do this.  I have that enabled on my Synology as well as LUN Backups. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Great post @marcofabbri. Just one addition, you could contact Veeam Support and ask them for assistance; they have a special team (SWAT) for such issues. Even if your backup files were encrypted I would let them check the files and see if there are some parts which can be recovered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great post @marcofabbri. Just one addition, you could contact Veeam Support and ask them for assistance; they have a special team (SWAT) for such issues. Even if your backup files were encrypted I would let them check the files and see if there are some parts which can be recovered.

Oh cool! I didn't know that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks @marcofabbri 

Absolutely 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great article!
Regards,

Yes, you’re right. I found a great amount of servers where shadows weren’t active (and not for size or performance limitation).
Veeam’s always THE solution, but it happens that storage backups are setted with easy/default password and got cleaned by ransomware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Great post @marcofabbri. Just one addition, you could contact Veeam Support and ask them for assistance; they have a special team (SWAT) for such issues. Even if your backup files were encrypted I would let them check the files and see if there are some parts which can be recovered.

Good to know, I wasn’t aware of the special SWAT Team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

One I also like is: https://id-ransomware.malwarehunterteam.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Nice one! Never used before! Thanks Rick!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Found this very useful, thank you @Rick Vanover. I have added this to my Network Security Tools bookmark Folder! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very interesting this one. I am passing this to our security team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks Rick! Have not come across that one before. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing some great resources. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Since I’m in the sharing mode. I also like the VirusTotal - Home page to get signatures of a file that may help me discern the the W in the WTF.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Since I’m in the sharing mode. I also like the VirusTotal - Home page to get signatures of a file that may help me discern the the W in the WTF.

I have one more URLScan.io Comes in really handy when I’m not really sure what is at the end of a URL I’ve not seen before. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unbelievable how many different variants of ransomware there are; I would have thought that there are only a few different families...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Another one I would like to share is: https://urlscan.io/

Useful to see what a URL looks like at that point in time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

interesting topic, i had missed it last week but the veeam recap brought it to light for me, thanks @marcofabbri 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

interesting topic, i had missed it last week but the veeam recap brought it to light for me, thanks @marcofabbri 

Hope to share more topics in this group soon :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Another one I would like to share is: https://urlscan.io/

Useful to see what a URL looks like at that point in time.

This is definitely an interesting tool.  Will check this one out for sure.

Comment