VMCE v12 exam review and tips

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

VMCE v12 training

A brand new VMCE v12 training course was launched in September. The 3-day training now includes many of the great things that have been implemented in this version.

Find your training here: Veeam Certified Engineer (VMCE) Training

VMCE v12 exam

The associated VMCE v12 exam has been available since 1 October. As a Veeam certified trainer myself, I have to be compliant within the next 60 days. That's why I planned a tough schedule and scheduled the exam just one day after this year’s Veeam100 summit in Prague 😀.

Schedule your exam here: Get Veeam Certified Now!

Exam flavors

This time I took an online protored exam with PearsonVUE. I used to like on-site exams better, but since Covid I have gotten used to online exams and actually like them more now because of the time savings.

The process is fairly straightforward. Once you have registered, you will receive an email with all the information you need. I strongly recommend that you do the test of your environment that is offered in the email. This will ensure that everything runs smoothly on the day of the exam.

Tips for a smooth process

On the day of the exam, you should arrive 30 minutes early to allow time for ID/passport documents to be uploaded and for the proctor to take a quick look at your desk via the webcam. Make sure you have an empty (part of) your desk for the exam. You should only place your laptop, ID/passport documents and, in the beginning, your smartphone. Once the exam starts, the phone must be out of reach.

No headsets are allowed and a webcam is mandatory. They want to make sure that no one can read out questions or have additional conversations over the headset. So make sure the microphone and speakers are set up and ready. 

Unlike previous exams, the exam now consists of 60 questions. It used to be 50 questions. However, only 50 of the questions will count towards your score. The remaining 10 questions are used by Veeam to test new questions and optimise the structure of the exam.

You have 75 minutes to complete the exam. An extra 15 minutes is added for non-native speakers. So, as a German speaker, I had 90 minutes. It took me about 45 minutes to finish all the questions. So even for native speakers, the 75 minutes should be more than enough.

Knowledge covered

Of course I will not repeat any questions here. Everyone will get their own set from more than 250 questions available anyway.

Compared to the v11 exam, I can say that the exam has not got any harder. I would estimate that about 5-10% of the questions are related to new v12 features or changes v12 brought us. So make sure you read and understand all the "what's new" documentation available.

What I particularly like is the fact that, compared to older exams (v10 and before), the questions are more in line with actual knowledge for real-world implementations. 

If you have a good understanding of all the functionality of the product, you are ready for the exam. No random questions on a few super specific things - at least not in my case.

Pro tip: Take a look at the different job types and SOBR offload methods and how many restore points you will end up with at certain times.

VeeamONE has been removed from the VMCE v12 training. So there was a lot less footprint in the exam. However, Enterprise Manager is part of the core product and training. Be sure to include it in your preparation.

Find the full v12 exam guide here: veeam_certified_engineer_v12_exam_guide_ds.pdf

I wish you all the best for your exam. Don’t hesitate to become a...

20 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Thanks Michael. 

Good tips and recommendations. What did you do for the preparation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks Michael. 

Good tips and recommendations. What did you do for the preparation?

Hey Jos. Nothing better than reading the "what's new" PDF again. But I would only recommend this approach if you have already taken at least one previous VMCE exam.

But like I said, for the v12 exam a knowledgeable consultant with a few years of experience is in good shape for the exam. I wasn't always like that... 😉 .

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I did the exam a few weeks ago. I passed with 850 points. The new exam is way better than the old ones. Better questions with important topics, like retention process, GFS strategy and others.

I've beind doing Veeam exams since v9 and IMO the new exam is easier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Congrats on the exam pass! 🎉

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great information here for the new exam.  I took the beta course just recently offered and have a voucher to take the exam now. So will review the what's new again and the pdf guide from the course and here.  Shouldn't be too hard having taken the exams since v9.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Michael Melter thanks for sharing. I will take training on February and schedule the new exam for next year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Congrats @Michael Melter !

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you for the insights @Michael Melter and congrats on the pass! I plan to prep and take mine before the end of the month. Appreciate the tips!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I did the exam a few weeks ago. I passed with 850 points. The new exam is way better than the old ones. Better questions with important topics, like retention process, GFS strategy and others.

I've beind doing Veeam exams since v9 and IMO the new exam is easier. 

Same here: my first exam was v9 in 2015. Found those harder. As trainers we also had to score 85% by the time instead of 70% for the regular which was tough. Today same threshold for all. I scored 875/900 btw. Still wonder what should have been wrong. One question was a bit ambiguous, with two answers seeming plausible. Maybe this was the one.

The ones seeking more insight into how the questions work should definitely visit the legendary YT channel of @haslund: https://www.youtube.com/@RasmusHaslund/videos
Better than most stuff on Netflix and totally free. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks all for your tips. Very interesting topic.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I can only confirm: Spend enough time on GFS, offloading backups and the different job types. Put yourself some excercises together where you can clearly count how many restore point you’ll end up, where they are located, how many full backups are and where… Drawing it on your draft notes during the exam to have a visual overview of the retention schema really helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great Tips @Michael Melter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for share this @Michael Melter!

I intend to do the exam soon and this kind of information really helps.

Badge

Great information here for the new exam.  I took the beta course just recently offered and have a voucher to take the exam now. So will review the what's new again and the pdf guide from the course and here.  Shouldn't be too hard having taken the exams since v9.

Dear Chris. Can you share any info for beta cource?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Dear Chris. Can you share any info for beta cource?

It was a course that you had to be selected for. Keep an eye out for more in the future.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Adding my input here -

I managed to pass it first time (...just… “A pass is a pass”, right!?). 

If I was having to retake it, I would be focusing on:

• Replica - Failover/Plans/and how data is seeded/used in a way to reduce RTO
  • Make sure you know what the data is doing, and when - I always take my knowledge around retentions, versioning and methodologies as well-trodden ground, but some of the questions on the exam really test this - be sure to read up on the basics as well as the new stuff!  
    As was previously mentioned:

I can only confirm: Spend enough time on GFS, offloading backups and the different job types. Put yourself some excercises together where you can clearly count how many restore point you’ll end up, where they are located, how many full backups are and where… Drawing it on your draft notes during the exam to have a visual overview of the retention schema really helps.

Also, of interesting note, the ‘version’ of the certification I was given was the VMCE 2024 (with new logo and everything) - I was assuming it was still the “v12” or “2023 v12” that I’d have received. My reason for mentioning this is that I don't believe there was any specific v12.1 content in there, but might be worth bearing this in mind. I went in assuming stuff like Malware detection wouldn’t have been in scope. Perhaps this is clarified in the classroom course (which I didn't take).

Good luck to anyone else taking it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Adding my input here -

I managed to pass it first time (...just… “A pass is a pass”, right!?). 

If I was having to retake it, I would be focusing on:

• Replica - Failover/Plans/and how data is seeded/used in a way to reduce RTO
  • Make sure you know what the data is doing, and when - I always take my knowledge around retentions, versioning and methodologies as well-trodden ground, but some of the questions on the exam really test this - be sure to read up on the basics as well as the new stuff!  
    As was previously mentioned:

Also, of interesting note, the ‘version’ of the certification I was given was the VMCE 2024 (with new logo and everything) - I was assuming it was still the “v12” or “2023 v12” that I’d have received. My reason for mentioning this is that I don't believe there was any specific v12.1 content in there, but might be worth bearing this in mind. I went in assuming stuff like Malware detection wouldn’t have been in scope. Perhaps this is clarified in the classroom course (which I didn't take).

Good luck to anyone else taking it. 

The badge you got is right for v12.  They tend to put the year on when you pass.  I passed v12 last year so have the 2023 older badge.  Would be nice to get an upgrade to the new one.  😂

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks Chris - that makes sense! 

And sorry, I wasn’t gloating about my shiny new 2024 cert. I prefer a more mature certification, to be honest. 2023 - good vintage!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks Chris - that makes sense! 

And sorry, I wasn’t gloating about my shiny new 2024 cert. I prefer a more mature certification, to be honest. 2023 - good vintage!

No worries at all there gloat away.  LOL

Seems silly they just don’t update it for everyone regardless.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Congrats on the pass @jsb00227 !!

Comment