Virtual machines failed to start after installing Oct 2023 Update (KB5031364)

• 15 October 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
  • 192 comments

That was not happening only at VM with the secure boot in the Hyper-V environment. It also impacts VMware.

After installing this update on guest virtual machines (VMs) running Windows Server 2022 on some versions of VMware ESXi, Windows Server 2022 might not start up. Only Windows Server 2022 VMs with Secure Boot enabled are affected by this issue. Affected versions of VMware ESXi are versions vSphere ESXi 7.0.x and below.

We may ask customers to put them on hold to install the October patch for Windows Server 2022.

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thankfully I don’t run Secure Boot, only have a handful of 2022 servers, and am now on vSphere 8 😊

Thanks for sharing Cary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@coolsport00 lucky you!😀 You are welcome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thankfully I don’t run Secure Boot, only have a handful of 2022 servers, and am now on vSphere 8 😊

Thanks for sharing Cary.

Is this due to compatibility or operational issues @coolsport00

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Looking at the thread, one person seems to have resolved the issue by removing the RCT related files….I wonder if this has anything to do with the RCT fixes in the October CU

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1390624/virtual-machines-failed-to-start-after-installing

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Iams3le that I don’t run secure boot? I don’t have TPMs in my Host to do so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That is usually one of the ways to solve problematic updates. I would suggest if this is not a lab environment, fire-up WSUS in order to test and exert control over the update process. I had no choice than to set this up at one time due to similar issues. 

Comment