Veeam v11: Continuous Data Protection (CDP) configuration

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Continuous Data Protection (CDP) is a new feature provided by the upcoming Veeam VBR v11 mainly addressed for Tier-1 applications that cannot deal with data loss.

Announced for a long time, the CDP technology allows you to configure the RPO Per Second and this can be done leveraging vSphere API for IO Filtering (VAIO).

Install the Continuous Data Protection filter to hosts

First step is the installation of the CDP filter to the hosts member of the cluster. The installation takes place in the Managed Servers section under Backup Infrastructure area. Before proceeding make sure your Veeam Server has been registered in your DNS infrastructure.

Once the vCenter Servers have been added to the Veeam infrastructure, right click the source side vCenter and select Manage I/O filters.

veeam-v11-cdp-04

Configure the CDP Proxy

To leverage CDP, it is required the deployment of the new CDP Proxy to handle the data. Although you can install different roles in the chosen Windows Server, make sure CDP Proxy is not already installed.

In Backup Infrastructure area, go to Backup Proxies section. Right click anywhere in the right pane and select Add Veeam CDP Proxy.

veeam-v11-cdp-16

Configure a CDP Policy

The CDP Policy is a policy similar to a Replication Job but has a different Schedule page.

From Home area, click on CDP Policy.

veeam-v11-cdp-23

After the initial syncing process, replication occurs at the specified Sync interval.

veeam-v11-cdp-33

Due to high resource demanding, only critical business VMs should be protected with CDP where a lower RPO is required.

These are main steps required to implement CDP. A full detailed how-to procedure can be found in this post (blog nolabnoparty.com).

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Super feature for business critical systems. I am glad that this feature is included in B&R now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

It was announced in 2017 but finally CDP will be available in v11!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, I have seen it in the planned features several times. But it was delayed every time.

So it is very good to get it now - finally :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m wondering cdp proxy is only available for windows?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @BertrandFR - the first version will have the CDP Proxy on Windows only. I would expect us to add other options, but don’t have a timeline to share at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This Feature is amazing !! thank you @PValsecchi for sharing… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for sharing, @PValsecchi! Its definitely the next v11-feature I will test in detail.

Did you do any performance-tests with CDP enabled?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Very nice walk-through @PValsecchi, thank you! :thumbsup_tone1:

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks Rasmus!

Userlevel 4
Badge

It was announced in 2017 but finally CDP will be available in v11!

Finally!

Hi team,

Can you share please

VEEAM V11 Datasheet please ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi team,

Can you share please

VEEAM V11 Datasheet please ?

I don’t think Veeam will share these documents before GA (general available). Normally documentation and white papers are available with or after GA.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Good, write up about CDP. I am curious to see how the IO filter would play in a production scenario and with a high load database server. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have seen issues where the filter driver will not install on the host.  Per the Veeam Community forums looks to be DNS issues but i still have issues with the filter driver installing on some hosts.  I had 2 install with no issue but 3 others will not install the filter driver.  Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

thank you @PValsecchi :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I have seen issues where the filter driver will not install on the host.  Per the Veeam Community forums looks to be DNS issues but i still have issues with the filter driver installing on some hosts.  I had 2 install with no issue but 3 others will not install the filter driver.  Any ideas?

Can you share any error messages or log entries?

Yes i’ve same results…. vcenter, and host can resolve vbr server and all vmware infrastructure… the primary vcenter environtment OK the target NO…

in attach screenshot about error

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes i’ve same results…. vcenter, and host can resolve vbr server and all vmware infrastructure… the primary vcenter environtment OK the target NO…

@sricca So the error is coming back from VMware so we’d need to see what’s generating this message in the VMware environment. Have you raised a case with Veeam or VMware yet?

@sricca So the error is coming back from VMware so we’d need to see what’s generating this message in the VMware environment. Have you raised a case with Veeam or VMware yet?

No at the moment

Comment