VBR v11 🔥 New Linux Backup Proxy Modes ✅

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

:muscle: I took the time to create in Draw.io a client scenario., with the 3 cores components Backup Server - Proxies - Repositories would look as follows :nerd:  Only one with Windows …. 

12 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Linux Proxy acts in the same way as Windows Proxy now and all Transport Modes are supported.

Finally we can use as many Proxy Servers as we need regardless the Windows licenses!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Linux Proxy acts in the same way as Windows Proxy now and all Transport Modes are supported.

Finally we can use as many Proxy Servers as we need regardless the Windows licenses!

Yes @PValsecchi finally, I think that the customer finds use more linux

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes, with v11 there will be more and more Linux proxies! Just missing tape-support on Linux proxies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Such a good news! it’s unfortunately for tape support but from my experiences tape support works better with windows host. conf_drv could be a nightmare on linux.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Such a good news! it’s unfortunately for tape support but from my experiences tape support works better with windows host. conf_drv could be a nightmare on linux.

Just googled for “conf_drv” but could not find something. What is it about?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Don’t forget, “CBT restores” are not available for Linux-based proxies in v10 at least - I am not sure about the coming v11. This means fx incremental restore aka Quick rollback is not available and you would need to use fx the “default backup proxy” on the Veeam Backup Server if you don’t have any other Windows-based backup proxies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Don’t forget, “CBT restores” are not available for Linux-based proxies in v10 at least - I am not sure about the coming v11. This means fx incremental restore aka Quick rollback is not available and you would need to use fx the “default backup proxy” on the Veeam Backup Server if you don’t have any other Windows-based backup proxies.

Good to know we moove the majority of our proxy to linux, we had more power during the backup windows. Due to licensing and automation we are more into centos/rhel OS :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just googled for “conf_drv” but could not find something. What is it about?

it’s where library configurations were in our previous backup solution. It’s the “eternel” path for requeting Tape library with FC

Userlevel 4
Badge

Proxys!!! Proxys everywhere!!!! Linux proxys in v10 works like a charm. My tests in v11 is good, very good. For terraform and another type of automatization will be great, many proxys on full load, few proxyies when synthetic and cia.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

waiting for gateway server on linux :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

it's a great way. I think Linux is good from windows. waiting for Linux gateway server. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

waiting for gateway server on linux :grin:

I have wanted this for years. It seems so logical as the NEA was already being leveraged as internet facing component, how much effort to simply put a data mover on it and harden it up. Then again I was hoping the NEA was going to be replaced by VeeamPN but...  I imagine because that is networking after all and understandably Veeam don’t want and become a networking company on top of backups :)

Comment