The Veeam Community Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Since we launched Veeam Community Hub one year ago, 11,199 members joined and we are very happy to see new members engaging, sharing the knowledge and helping each other.

Community is rapidly growing, and I thought it would make sense to create a guide with the best practices on how to use community: what category to choose, what type of content to go with, what to do and what not to do.

Let’s look into that!

1. Veeam Community Hub is owned by Veeam Legends and Veeam Community. It’s community driven property. If you would like to talk to Veeam PM or submit a support ticket, please reach out to Veeam Support or Veeam R&D Forums
  2. All content in all categories apart from User Groups is in English. If you feel more comfortable with your local language, you are welcome to create posts in local user groups 
  3. Do not publish empty posts with external links only. Just do not, please. This type of content will be hidden. It is absolutely OK to use external link as a reference to something though. Example
  4. Do not copy paste whitepapers, blogs and other content from veeam.com and Help Center. We publish it there for reason :blush:
  5. Do not copy paste KBs articles from veeam.com. A few Examples: Content with linked KBs - no issues, please, keep it coming: Log4j Vulnerability - What do you need to know? Content that has no other content but link to KB and explanation of KB. This type of content will be hidden going further, as it has its home at veeam.com: DataCore Plug-In for Veeam Backup & Replication
  6. Do not publish empty posts with links to your blog. We appreciate you are sharing your knowledge with community. But most community members prefer to stay here at Community Hub and have discussions about content you published. We want to keep this level of interactions, therefore all empty posts with links to your blog will be hidden

7. All discussions and questions should be published in Discussion Boards
  8. Blogs and Podcasts serve as a section for blogs and podcasts created by you. For example, if you would like to share someone’s podcast as a great learning resource, please share it in Discussion Boards. If you wrote a how-to-guide on how to setup something, troubleshoot the error and etc. — go ahead and publish it in Blogs and Podcasts!
  9. Select Question type of content only if you want to get a solution for your issue. Select Content type of content if you would like to have a conversation about some topic, even if you have a question there as well: Example for questionExample for content
  10. Don’t forget to mark your favourite answer as the answer to this question to help the next person searching for this
  11. When publishing, make sure to upload pictures via 'Insert Image' (not via copy-paste from the word doc), otherwise pictures will be converted into characters and there might be issues with the blog length

1. Users may not post any offensive materials, share illegal or copyrighted content, attempt to distribute illegal substances or distribute viruses or other material
  2. Users may not use this place for commercial activities such as the advertising or sale of products or services

I will be updating this post with other tips further, so if there is anything I missed to address — please, let me know in comments below!

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you so much, Kseniya, great guide so far! I made the mistake many times about questions vs topic :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you for the clarification, @Kseniya 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a great guide @Kseniya and hopefully will be pinned somewhere for easy reference. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you so much, Kseniya, great guide so far! I made the mistake many times about questions vs topic :)

Thanks, @jorge.delacruz! Can’t say about many mistakes, Jorge - you are following this guide somehow intuitively :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank you for the clear words, @Kseniya !

Have already broken rule 8 a few times. :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is a great guide @Kseniya and hopefully will be pinned somewhere for easy reference. 😉

Good idea, Chris! I will think where to pin it :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you for the clear words, @Kseniya !

Haha no worries, @vNote42! You aren’t alone :smile: I always adjust the content type if needed, but it would be nice to have more content distributed to the right category with the right content type :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Kseniya being organized as always.

May the guide be with us!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Kseniya being organized as always.

May the guide be with us!

Thanks, Mateus! I hope this will help community members to better navigate here :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the update and some clarifications as well @Kseniya 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you for the clear words, @Kseniya !

Well @Kseniya and @Rick Vanover have been known to break their own rules from time to time 😉

Thanks for sharing Kseniya, Rule 8 is my weakness too, but I’ll keep in mind!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks @Kseniya for the guidelines :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yeah rule 8 is the hard one here :rofl:  But the guide/rules make sense @Kseniya :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Great guide @Kseniya 

Always wondering if there was a guide but I was always too lazy to go look for it. :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No worries, @MicoolPaul and @regnor

I realized I have to share more about content types (maybe it also wasn’t clear enough) when I started booking 2 hours per week to review all types and adjust them :smile:

I hope this will help community members, as it answers why this or that post was moved to another category and etc.

I also would love to have more users marking the best answer! :blush:  (#9)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Great guide @Kseniya 

Always wondering if there was a guide but I was always too lazy to go look for it. :grin:

Haha here you go, @dips:smile:  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Great guide @Kseniya 

Haha here you go, @dips:smile:  

Thanks you :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

No worries, @MicoolPaul and @regnor

I realized I have to share more about content types (maybe it also wasn’t clear enough) when I started booking 2 hours per week to review all types and adjust them :smile:

I hope this will help community members, as it answers why this or that post was moved to another category and etc.

Marking best answer? Is this food or something?? :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

No worries, @MicoolPaul and @regnor

Oh no that doesn't sound like fun 😶

Regarding the best answer, you're right. Would it be possible to send a notification or reminder after a certain time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Oh no that doesn't sound like fun 😶

Regarding the best answer, you're right. Would it be possible to send a notification or reminder after a certain time?

On the one hand this is a great idea, as I DO want people to let those who helped that the advice worked, plus this help other users too; on the other hand - we are trying to have as minimum notifications sent as possible…. :smile: Tricky!

I have to look into that! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kseniya You're right, spamming the members with notifications/reminders could be annoying 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello everyone!

The Veeam Community Guide has been updated, please, look at the section 5:

“Do not copy paste KBs articles from veeam.com. A few Examples: Content with linked KBs - no issues, please, keep it coming: Log4j Vulnerability - What do you need to know? Content that has no other content but link to KB and explanation of KB. This type of content will be hidden going further, as it has its home at veeam.com: DataCore Plug-In for Veeam Backup & Replication

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice to know Kseniya!

It makes sense for me. A KB is already a post with the explanation about that subject. 

Totally necessary this section on guide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks Kseniya! This sounds legit!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello everyone!

The Veeam Community Guide has been updated, please, look at the section 5:

“Do not copy paste KBs articles from veeam.com. A few Examples: Content with linked KBs - no issues, please, keep it coming: Log4j Vulnerability - What do you need to know? Content that has no other content but link to KB and explanation of KB. This type of content will be hidden going further, as it has its home at veeam.com: DataCore Plug-In for Veeam Backup & Replication

Thanks for sharing this @Kseniya sorry that one of mine is an example but time for change. 👍

Comment