New role for Linux Hardened Repository in v12: Proxy Server

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This no new part about what else is new in v12, because I this is great improvement in the upcoming release.

With Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR) v12 it will be possible to use a Linux Hardened Repository (LHR) server as proxy server. Only limitation seems to be the transport mode. Only Network mode (NBD) is supported! This is because of security reasons. Network Mode was possible to implement without requiring root permissions on service. This is no show-stopper, because it is the most secure among all available transport modes.

How does it work

How to get a LHR proxy server to work? It is simple as any other proxy server. Just create a new proxy server in VBR console:

And select a LHR server in dropdown list:

With that selection you get the information that only Network transport mode is supported for LHR.

With confirmation, transport mode is set to Network in repository settings. Next I create a job that uses this proxy for backup. As backup target I use the local Hardened Repository. I guess this will be the most common configuration.

That’s it, backup job uses LHR as proxy server!

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure why you would want to put the Proxy role on a Hardened repo server for Linux?  If it were me I would separate the roles and deploy a separate Linux server for Proxy so that you can use Hot-Add mode with it which would be faster than NBD unless you have 10GB+ networking with a physical Linux box (not so much a VM).

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Not sure why you would want to put the Proxy role on a Hardened repo server for Linux?  If it were me I would separate the roles and deploy a separate Linux server for Proxy so that you can use Hot-Add mode with it which would be faster than NBD unless you have 10GB+ networking with a physical Linux box (not so much a VM).

Could a good option in a branch office. So you just would need a physical repository server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Could a good option in a branch office. So you just would need a physical repository server.

Yeah, that would be a good option for ROBO as you said and a physical box. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I wish that it would do direct-storage access as well.  That way, when using a physical box, I can still plug into the SAN as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I wish that it would do direct-storage access as well.  That way, when using a physical box, I can still plug into the SAN as well.

Mhh, this would threaten the security of the hardened repository, because for this there have disks to be mounted to the server. This is possible with root permissions only….

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice one @vNote42  !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am just curious. Will VeeamONE be able to gather performance data from Hardened Repository with enabled proxy? @Mildur can you answer this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @vNote42 

I’ll give you an update as soon I have information about it.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @vNote42 

I still own you an answer to this question :)
As in V11, we can only collect performance data (CPU, Memory, Disk, Network) for windows based components. For a Linux components like Proxy or Repository, we won’t have performance data inside Veeam One.

What we can show for linux components is the information in the Summary tab. This information about transferred data or processed disks is collected directly from the backup server. A connection to the Hardened repository is not required.

Linux Proxy Veeam One v12

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

or for HPE Simplivity cluster...Veeam Backup & Replication on HPE SimpliVity 380 technical white paper

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

or for HPE Simplivity cluster...Veeam Backup & Replication on HPE SimpliVity 380 technical white paper

yes, hot-add is not good idea for SimpliVity :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @vNote42 

I still own you an answer to this question :)
As in V11, we can only collect performance data (CPU, Memory, Disk, Network) for windows based components. For a Linux components like Proxy or Repository, we won’t have performance data inside Veeam One.

What we can show for linux components is the information in the Summary tab. This information about transferred data or processed disks is collected directly from the backup server. A connection to the Hardened repository is not required.

Linux Proxy Veeam One v12

Best,

Fabian

Thank you, Fabian for answering my question!

Comment