[Heads up] Backup function within vCenter Appliance (VCSA) stops working in U3

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Another bug in vSphere 7 U3, I just read about. The backup function in the VCSA does not work in U3 any more when DB health check is enabled. Then each backup fails! 

Fortunately there is a simple solution for this: run /usr/bin/dbcc -fbss embedded in a shell-session in VCSA.

More information:

This is important because you normally do not see failed backup. So when you never checks them, you would not find out the broken functionality. 

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for posting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Good to know, thanks @vNote42 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks, shared with my colleagues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Good to know! Thanks for that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good to know, thank you.

Many errors in the last time….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Anyone else glad that Veeam haven’t announced official support for vSphere 7.0 U3/U3A? It’s been my one saving grace from all of these issues plaguing my customer environments (and my lab!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for this information!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Anyone else glad that Veeam haven’t announced official support for vSphere 7.0 U3/U3A? It’s been my one saving grace from all of these issues plaguing my customer environments (and my lab!)

Yeah, it is a hard discussion with our VMware admin each time to wait with the update until Veeam supports this version officially, but it is worth it. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If Veeams QA department isn't confident with a specific release or hasn't announced official support, then it's always better to wait. At least their support is a little indicator that a release is stable enough to be backed up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Most of the larger customers are rather conservative. So they do not install each patch days after it is available. More problematic are smaller environments operated by administrators with too much time-resources :joy:. Especially since latest Update-versions I recommend customers to wait rather month than weeks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just a friendly reminder that the following announcement from VMware.

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2021/11/important-information-on-esxi-7-update-3.html

Comment