Error at Veeam File Level Restore


Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Legend, Veeam Vanguard
  • 1217 comments

Recently I had to troubleshoot an error in Veeam Backup and Replication. Error appeared at File Level Restore operations. In detail: restore Windows files from a Veeam Hardened Repository.

Environment consists of existing and freshly installed proxies and repositories servers. New repository servers were Windows and Linux as hardened repository (LHR). Mount server was a physical Windows server.

Problem that occurred

When we tried to restore files from LHR we get errors like these:

 

 

 

We also could see that mounting of the restore point worked for a few moments. Restore Explorer also showed first directories. After a few seconds, mount point was disconnected automatically and browsing in Explorer resulted in an error.

After some tests we found out, this only happens when we were using newly installed proxies as mount servers. It worked fine with already running proxies and even with new Windows repository server.

That was solved the problem

When we were checking the configuration of new proxy server we noticed, system displayed the correct time, but time zone was wrong. So we set time zone and time at correct values. It still did not work then. Veeam Support helped. Support recommended that we also set the regional time settings as they were already set for the old proxies. After that file recovery worked fine with each proxy mount server.


3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Amazing if it is not DNS then many times it is the time settings.  Great to hear this and good info for others.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Amazing if it is not DNS then many times it is the time settings.  Great to hear this and good info for others.

Add: certificates!

😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Amazing if it is not DNS then many times it is the time settings.  Great to hear this and good info for others.

Add: certificates!

😂

Ah yes!  I just dealt with an SSL now for one of our Data Domains and cause it was expired on Sept 30th the UI was not working.  Luckily they had an article for using SSH to renew it.  😂

Comment