Skip to main content

As part of Cyber Security Month I was afforded the opportunity to test out a 1TB C2 Object Storage account from Synology.  I have partnered with them having 2 NAS devices that I have blogged about (DS920+ and DS923+).  You can check out my blog at the link as well as below.

Synology C2 Object Storage

Synology C2 – Object Storage Setup

It is CyberSecurity month, so I am writing a few blogs on Synology and using C2 Object Storage for backups.

I have been fortunate enough to have a good relationship with both Synology and Nick Kozup, which has allowed me to get a 1TB subscription to the Synology C2 – Object Storage for doing some testing with backups, NAS backup/replication and many other things that utilize object storage. I have already blogged about the two NAS devices I have been sent (DS920+ and DS923+), which I use daily for my home lab, backups, and many other things.

My account was activated today, and when I logged in to the interface, I was greeted with an empty slate to create buckets and keys. You can read more about Synology C2 Object Storage here – Synology C2 – Object Storage

Synology C2—Object Storage URL: This is where you navigate to and log in to your Synology account.

Upon login, you see the following in the dashboard –

Synology C2 – Object Storage WebUI Dashboard

So now I will create a new bucket, which also allows the creation of the access keys using the Create Bucket button on the dashboard shown above. Here, you type in a name for your bucket, and then you would check off the “Create an access key for this bucket” checkbox to create the needed keys for access, along with a description.

After you click Next, you will have the option to turn on Object Lock and Versioning and set a default retention. I have left the retention setting alone so that the backup application can control it—in this case, Veeam will control the Object Lock retention. Once your settings are chosen, you click the Create Bucket button, which displays your Access/Secret keys for using the bucket. You can copy each of them using the copy button or download a text file using the link on the screen.

After you copy or download your keys, you can click Close. Now, on the WebUI dashboard, the bucket is ready for use and shows you the Access Point URL to be used for your backup application.

This completes the C2 Object Storage setup process for creating a bucket for backups from any application that supports object storage. In my next articles, I will go over adding C2 Object Storage to Veeam Backup & Replication to test backups, using the Synology Cloud Sync application directly from my NAS devices to sync folders, etc.

Look for more C2 Object Storage blogs for CyberSecurity Month and others. If you have any questions, please reach out to me. Until next time, happy blogging.

Seems simple enough...nice! 😊 Don’t forget to add Block Gen retention to those immutables… 😂

Thanks for sharing Chris!

Thanks, Shane.  Yeah it is very simple but nice application for testing.  Going to send some small stuff there since I only have a year for this.  😋

Thanks for this Chris.
This reminds me to check if it’s possible to integrate my 923+ with my 1TB Wasabi Account for testing 😅 As i can see C2 is in the same price range as Wasabi, so for sure a good option for many Synology customers.

Not a problem Markus.  Yeah I am interested to see how it works.  Check the Cloud Sync app for Synology as it is direct integration with C2 Object Storage and you can also set up S3 Compatible for Wasabi.

Comment