Comparative of Compression Backup on v11

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Today I coming here for a simple post about compression Veeam B&R.

So, I take a short VM Linux running an Active Directory for this.

Below you can see a full backup with a compression set up as Optional.

And now you can see the same full backup with compression option on Extreme.

How you can see the duration time was decrease in almost 20 minutes when I compress backup on extreme option. 

The target of backup on this example is an offsite repository. It has a low bandwidth if we compare with a local one. So, when we are planning our offsite backup policy,  the extreme compression can help to get better times on your backup execution window.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I love this, Veeam always has a tweak you can make to help compensate for a bottleneck (bandwidth in this case) by utilising something else more (CPU in this case)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I love this, Veeam always has a tweak you can make to help compensate for a bottleneck (bandwidth in this case) by utilising something else more (CPU in this case)

Yeah! You can adopt Veeam and adapt it for your environment perfectly…

It is soooo goood!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Excellent post, good reminder compression could be useful for some use cases! It’s now a habit during the jobs to optimal for me on LAN :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This makes sense the window would decrease because the Proxy servers are compressing using the Extreme setting before it transfers to your offsite repo.  Nice to see the differences.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

These are great results you've achieved there :thumbsup:

Especially with low bandwidth the compression can make a difference. On high bandwidth links the proxies could easily become a bottleneck and decrease the benefit.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thats some awesome testing and keep it up, please. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Looks good.:blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Nice one, thanks for sharing!

Did you look at the CPU load of the proxy too? Would be interesting to compare compression their as well.

Comment