Changing vCenter Name on Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How can we see here, vCenter IP/FQDN is not possible to change inside of Veeam B&R.

In my case I put the IP of vCenter server on Veeam Backup & Replication and now I’d like to change it to a hostname accordingly the DNS server name.

So, first of all we need to open the Console / PowerShell on burger menu of Veeam B&R.

So, at this moment we need type the command:

$Servers = Get-VBRServer -name "old-name-or-ip"

On my case the IP of my vCenter server is 192.168.10.100.

After that we just need type the following command:

$Servers.SetName("new-name-or-ip")

On my scenario it is ROM2SRVVLVC01.

And now, with this two only commands we can see that the vCenter name was changed on Veeam Backup & Replication:

To finish I just rescan the vCenter server again to see all the set up is ok.

39 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you need to change the vCenter name and jobs this utility will do it - https://www.veeam.com/kb2136

This creates a file and then after changing the vCenter name retargets the jobs to the new UUID so that jobs work.

Give this a try and see as I have used it and it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you need to change the vCenter name and jobs this utility will do it - https://www.veeam.com/kb2136

This creates a file and then after changing the vCenter name retargets the jobs to the new UUID so that jobs work.

Give this a try and see as I have used it and it works.

+1 on this suggestion, this will help with what you need, if you’re unsure and you’re licensed with support, open a case with Veeam to help you through it as they deal with this stuff all the time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I recommend to open a support case.

Poking around the database is not supported. 

Fully agree, open a case!

I have not had any problems with it so far. Agree with @Mildur , display name is not changed with this procedure. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I  can confirm, this works for Repository and/or Proxy Server as well! Because VBR manages these servers in its server-list as well (get/set-vbrserver), exact the same steps works here too!

Hello @vNote42. Have you ever change a proxy name with this step, right?

I’m trying to do that but it is returning this error:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I  can confirm, this works for Repository and/or Proxy Server as well! Because VBR manages these servers in its server-list as well (get/set-vbrserver), exact the same steps works here too!

Hello @vNote42. Have you ever change a proxy name with this step, right?

Hi @wolff.mateus ! Yes changed it for a repo&proxy server last. Works without problems.

Does the error appears immediately after you press enter? If not, maybe a DNS/name-resolution problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello @vNote42. Have you ever change a proxy name with this step, right?

Hi @wolff.mateus ! Yes changed it for a repo&proxy server last. Works without problems.

Does the error appears immediately after you press enter? If not, maybe a DNS/name-resolution problem?

No! It takes a few seconds to show the error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Now I got what is happening @vNote42. This only change the Host label:

It doesn’t affect the Name of the proxy.

:expressionless:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@wolff.mateus Thanks for sharing

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Now I got what is happening @vNote42. This only change the Host label:

It doesn’t affect the Name of the proxy.

:expressionless:

Yes, it does not change both names! - This was already mentioned here. But nevertheless, there should be no error!

Or did you try to change the name a second time? Than the second try could keep $Servers empty ($null) which could lead to the error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Very nice to know.

Until today I was using this guide: https://askme4tech.com/how-rename-veeam-backup-server-hostname

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Very nice to know.

Until today I was using this guide: https://askme4tech.com/how-rename-veeam-backup-server-hostname

This you link that you sent is about change the name of Veem Backup Server. Here we are talking about to change names of server that was deploy inside Veeam Backup & Replication. These are different situations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Very nice to know.

This you link that you sent is about change the name of Veem Backup Server. Here we are talking about to change names of server that was deploy inside Veeam Backup & Replication. These are different situations.

does it work for you now @wolff.mateus ?

I just ran this because we renewed the SSL certs on our vCenter servers and forgot to add the subject alternative for the name I was using in Veeam.  I ran the commands and my vCenter server names updated in the Backup Infrastructure tab.  I edited each and it gave me some message about the new SSL certs.  I continued through and everything started working.  Jobs are running now without having to make any changes.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thats a neat way.  However, in my practice, I always performed as follows:

1. Ensure DNS resolutions are speck-clean.  If no DNS, then create entry in hosts file with both short and FQDN of vcenter server.
  2. Go to VBR Console and Delete/remove the resource with IP.
  3. Add the vcenter infra again with name followed by rescan.

Comment