Changing vCenter Name on Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How can we see here, vCenter IP/FQDN is not possible to change inside of Veeam B&R.

In my case I put the IP of vCenter server on Veeam Backup & Replication and now I’d like to change it to a hostname accordingly the DNS server name.

So, first of all we need to open the Console / PowerShell on burger menu of Veeam B&R.

So, at this moment we need type the command:

$Servers = Get-VBRServer -name "old-name-or-ip"

On my case the IP of my vCenter server is 192.168.10.100.

After that we just need type the following command:

$Servers.SetName("new-name-or-ip")

On my scenario it is ROM2SRVVLVC01.

And now, with this two only commands we can see that the vCenter name was changed on Veeam Backup & Replication:

To finish I just rescan the vCenter server again to see all the set up is ok.

39 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nice description. This is very useful for me, as the backup servers are often setup before services like DNS are available. Up to now I kept the IP in VBR, but it is nice to be able to change it to the DNS Name afterwards. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

A great tip that usually no one realizes can be done.  Used this many times to change the VC name as we upgraded our infrastructure DCs and named the vCenter differently.  Now vCloud is another story and that one is SQL DB stuff. :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Great tip “wolff”! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice description. This is very useful for me, as the backup servers are often setup before services like DNS are available. Up to now I kept the IP in VBR, but it is nice to be able to change it to the DNS Name afterwards. :sunglasses:

Exactly @JMeixner

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great tip @wolff.mateus ! Didn’t know this!

I guess this just works when the vCenter is the same. Right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great tip @wolff.mateus ! Didn’t know this!

I guess this just works when the vCenter is the same. Right?

Yeah @vNote42! It just works with the same database of vCenter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I didn’t know that either; that’s well hidden...thanks, @wolff.mateus 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I  can confirm, this works for Repository and/or Proxy Server as well! Because VBR manages these servers in its server-list as well (get/set-vbrserver), exact the same steps works here too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@wolff.mateus : Great Share, Thanks a lot !

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@wolff.mateus , thx a lot for sharing, I was not aware that is possible. Nice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I  can confirm, this works for Repository and/or Proxy Server as well! Because VBR manages these servers in its server-list as well (get/set-vbrserver), exact the same steps works here too!

I have to add: changing the address of a proxy/repo-server works fine.

But: Name-column remains unchanged. In my case I changed IP to FQDN. After that IP remains for name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx @vNote42 , good to know. I always recommend using FQDN for all components, but often I see IP-addresses being used...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx @vNote42 , good to know. I always recommend using FQDN for all components, but often I see IP-addresses being used...

I really hate environments based on IP address. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @vNote42. So the command to change the name of repo and proxy is the same of this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thx @vNote42 , good to know. I always recommend using FQDN for all components, but often I see IP-addresses being used...

I really hate environments based on IP address. 

In some backup environments it could make sense. You can avoid DNS traffic over firewalls respectively DNS as all. Also avoid host-files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey @vNote42. So the command to change the name of repo and proxy is the same of this?

Yes! Just select proxy/repo server in your first command. Second command is just like yours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey @vNote42. So the command to change the name of repo and proxy is the same of this?

Yes! Just select proxy/repo server in your first command. Second command is just like yours.

It is just too bad the name column remains the same and does not change either.  I will have to play with this and see if there is a way.  :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It is just too bad the name column remains the same and does not change either.  I will have to play with this and see if there is a way.  :grin:

Let me know, if you find a solution. I will try to find one to. If not, I will open a support case. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Will do for sure.  I might look in the DB too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Will do for sure.  I might look in the DB too.

I will do a direct DB update just if the support instructs me to do so.

Userlevel 1

This is nice but doesn’t seem to update the jobs at all.  All my jobs are referencing the old name/ip, to which google searches suggest i need to remove/re-add WHICH results in broken chains.  I think there’s a follow-up step missing here… :-\

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

All my jobs are referencing the old name/ip

The display name doesn‘t change, if I am remember it correctly, but the connection information should be the new one.

Userlevel 1

All my jobs are referencing the old name/ip

The display name doesn‘t change, if I am remember it correctly, but the connection information should be the new one.

I wish you were right but mine are failing now.  MouseOver on the VM included in the job shows the old location there as well.  Im currently poking around the database trying to find a manual solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I recommend to open a support case.

Poking around the database is not supported. 

Comment