BLOG: Synology - Immutable Snapshots & Immutable Replication

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I recently wrote a blog about using Synology Immutable Snapshots and Replication.  Check it out below and find it on my blog as well - Just Virtualization Blog

Synology - Immutable LUN Snapshots with Immutable Replication

I have been using Synology NAS devices for the past two years in my homelab with VMware vSphere 8.0U2, vSAN, Intel Optane, Veeam Backup & Replication, Backup Eagle, Runecast and a host of other things. I have my newest DS923+ set up as my primary storage for my VMware environment and my older DS920+ is my backup NAS as well as Replication partner.

One thing that comes with the Synology DSM 7.2 upgrade (OS) is the ability to set up snapshots on a schedule, including Immutability. With Ransomware on the rise protecting your systems with backups alone is starting to not be sufficient enough. Enter the Immutable storage snapshots with replication on the Synology NAS devices.

In order to configure storage snapshots with Immutability you first need to create a LUN within the SAN Manager application on the web UI. Launch the web UI and log in, from the main screen open SAN Manager and use the Create button to begin the process to create a new LUN.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is SAN-Manager-1024x555.png

SAN Manager - Create button for new LUN

***NOTE: When creeating a LUN for snapshots you need to select Thin Provisioned as the Thick Provisioned option does not allow snapshots.***

Here is the new LUN Creation Wizard with all the options selected -

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is New-LUN4-Thin-Provisioned.png

New LUN with Thin Provisioning for Snapshots

Once the new LUN is created we will now set up snapshots with Immutability and replicate them to my secondary Synology NAS. You will again use the SAN Manager for this process, but select the Snapshot option on the left side menu. This will show the newly created LUN and how it is not scheduled for snapshots - "No Scheduled Protection". We will use both the Settings and Replication buttons on this screen to set things up.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is SAN-Manager-Snapshots-1024x558.png

SAN Manager - Snapshot options for LUNs

Once you click on you new LUN, in my case LUN-4 it will highlight it and then you click the Settings button at the top of the window in order to configure snapshot scheduling. You will select the following things -

• Schedule - how you want the snapshots to be taken and what time

• Immutability - this is the check box to set to make the snapshots of your LUNs immutable - it is recommended 7 to 14 days

• Retention - this is where you set up the retention period for your snapshots - how long and how many you want to keep

• Application - this allows application consistent snapshots but requires the Synology Storage Console within your VMware environment

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Snapshot-Schedule-300x252.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Snapshot-Retention-300x253.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Snapshot-Application-300x255.png

After you have set all the required details for your snapshots you click the OK button at the bottom of the Settings dialog to apply your new schedule, retention and application settings. We have now set up a new LUN with snapshots, which includes Immutability as well. Now let's take a look at how we configure Replication to a partner Synology NAS using once again the SAN Manager and the Replication button.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is SAN-Manager-Replication-1024x561.png

SAN Manager - Replication options

Click again on your new LUN highlighting it and then click the Replication button, which opens the Replication dialog where you will use the Create button to set up a new replication to your target Synology for the new LUN.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is SAN-Manager-Replication-Settings.png

SAN Manager - Replication Settings using Create button

So once you click the create button this will begin the process of creating the Replication for your new LUN -

• Start screen

• Replication Method - can use VMware Site Recovery Manager as well as Synology

• Destination location

• Destination Server with credentials and Encryption

• Destination volume on replication partner

• LUN to replicate

• Destination Schedule - includes turning on Immutability for your replicated LUN which enables double protection

• Destination Retention - typically I set the same as the snapshot retention

• Advanced Settings

• Final confirmation dialog - review all settings chosen

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Start-300x242.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Method-300x241.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Destination-300x244.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Destination-Server-300x240.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Destination-Volume-300x241.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-LUN-Selection-300x244.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Schedule-300x243.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Destination-Retention-300x242.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Advanced-Settings-300x242.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Task-Settings-Confirmation-300x241.png

After you click Done on the final confirmation settings dialog this will then set up and begin the replication process for you new LUN(s). Mine did not take long as there is currently nothing on it as I created a new one specifically for this blog. Once the replication completes you can then check both the source and destination Synology devices to see the newly created LUN with replication completed.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-Completed-both-Synology-Devices-1024x318.png

Synology Replication - Source & Destination NAS devices

Another really great feature with the Synology NAS lineup is after you set up your replication, you can select a LUN from your list and click the Info button to show you some really nice statistics -

• Status - the status of your replication

• Statistics - number of runs, speed of transfer, duration, and size

• Topology - replication topology between Synology NAS devices with some extra details

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Replication-LUN-Information-1024x285.png

Replication - LUN informational view

And that folks is how you configure a new LUN on your Synology NAS to have Immutability for both Snapshots and Replication. This adds an extra layer of protection against Ransomware on top of your backups which you should also be doing!

I hope you found this article useful and look for more on the Synology NAS devices and features in the future. Until then, happy blogging!

25 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Awesome @Chris.Childerhose  great effort

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great article, thanks for your effort @Chris.Childerhose ! 👏🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I wish Nimble had this option. Great post Chris! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wish Nimble had this option. Great post Chris! 

Yeah would be great for Nimble too.

Userlevel 2

Hey, maybe you should let the people know that worm only works on a few synology models.

cheers,

Userlevel 2

What if the production NAS does not support worm, but the replication target does. can I create non immutable local snapshots and then create remote replicated immutable snapshots ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey, maybe you should let the people know that worm only works on a few synology models.

cheers,

Yes, that is true, however, when I wrote this blog the models, I am using support this on both of them.  Yes, there are models that are older which do not support it but most of the Synology newer models do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What if the production NAS does not support worm, but the replication target does. can I create non immutable local snapshots and then create remote replicated immutable snapshots ?

Yes, it should because when you set up Replication you connect to the destination target, and it should detect if it supports Immutability.  I had not tested this but can test it quickly to see for sure and confirm to inform everyone here.

Userlevel 2

Yes, it should because when you set up Replication you connect to the destination target, and it should detect if it supports Immutability.  I had not tested this but can test it quickly to see for sure and confirm to inform everyone here.

hey that would be awsome if you could. We could keep using the huge production NAS und purchase a new immutable able one for backup reasons. looking forward! I also have asked synology support this a few hours ago - don’t expect a quick answer tho...

Userlevel 2

what about hyperbackup ? would i be able to backup non immutable NAS folders to New NAS hypervault on a immutable folder and all works ? guess so right ?

I just try to avoid buying a new 90 TB Production NAS just because of that. Buying only a new Backup NAS plus immutable storage and ubuntu server for Veeam plus Repo NAS would be enough :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I can confirm that creating a LUN without WORM enabled on the source side does allow you to enable it on the Target side if it supports Immutability.  I just did this with a new LUN not setting up snapshots locally but replication with Immutability.  So, it works as I expected.  😎

Userlevel 2

sorry goto pick your brain here :-)

lets say i buy new NAS Immutable capable for

1. Remote Immutable Snapshots for Old Production NAS. Connection LAN2LAN Cable, otherwise no LAN Access, no admin access to it nothing
  2. Use it as an ISCSI volume for a Physical ubuntu Server, XFS FS imutable Veeam REPO. Also only direkt LAN Connection Server to NAS, no admin Access to the nas no connection to anywhere.

so like two purposes on one device. Would you think this is safe ?

Userlevel 2

I can confirm that creating a LUN without WORM enabled on the source side does allow you to enable it on the Target side if it supports Immutability.  I just did this with a new LUN not setting up snapshots locally but replication with Immutability.  So, it works as I expected.  😎

thank you so much - this is great info for us!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

what about hyperbackup ? would i be able to backup non immutable NAS folders to New NAS hypervault on a immutable folder and all works ? guess so right ?

I just try to avoid buying a new 90 TB Production NAS just because of that. Buying only a new Backup NAS plus immutable storage and ubuntu server for Veeam plus Repo NAS would be enough :-)

Yes, you should be able to do this as well.  Don’t use HyperBackup much as I use Veeam for all my testing as you can imagine.  😋  Other than LUN replication with the Synology.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

1. Remote Immutable Snapshots for Old Production NAS. Connection LAN2LAN Cable, otherwise no LAN Access, no admin access to it nothing
  2. Use it as an ISCSI volume for a Physical ubuntu Server, XFS FS imutable Veeam REPO. Also only direkt LAN Connection Server to NAS, no admin Access to the nas no connection to anywhere.

This should be safe as you can do many things with a Synology NAS.  I use one for Veeam backup volume attached to my repo servers and also picture backups from our phones.  The other is iSCSI for VMware and all my VMs.  They are very versatile.

Userlevel 2

Yes, you should be able to do this as well.  Don’t use HyperBackup much as I use Veeam for all my testing as you can imagine.  😋  Other than LUN replication with the Synology.

nice  - thx

Userlevel 2

This should be safe as you can do many things with a Synology NAS.  I use one for Veeam backup volume attached to my repo servers and also picture backups from our phones.  The other is iSCSI for VMware and all my VMs.  They are very versatile.

yeah they always say the repo should not be accessible except from the server itself, like an ubuntu server in case on uses it as a immutable repo….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

yeah they always say the repo should not be accessible except from the server itself, like an ubuntu server in case on uses it as a immutable repo….

Agreed there and in this case the volume you set up for the repo you could give access only to the one server.  The replication of LUNs is done on the backend of the Synology so no other devices would have access either.

Userlevel 2

got to share this with you:

any (tried on three different ones) non supported Syn NAS on OS 7.2.x login to ssh, su to root and then run:

“synosetkeyvalue /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf support_worm yes”

immutable features unlocked

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

got to share this with you:

any (tried on three different ones) non supported Syn NAS on OS 7.2.x login to ssh, su to root and then run:

“synosetkeyvalue /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf support_worm yes”

immutable features unlocked

Very cool and thanks for sharing.  Interesting you can unlock the features on NAS devices that are not on the supported list.  Both the ones I use were but great to know people can turn it on.  Thanks for sharing this.  👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Crazy you can do this on a small NAS now. The Enterprise stuff always trickles down to home users. 🙃

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Crazy you can do this on a small NAS now. The Enterprise stuff always trickles down to home users. 🙃

Yeah the two I use could already do this but nice to see it somewhat available to other devices.

Userlevel 2

Hey Chris,

do you think technically I can add a immunity enabled Synology Folder as a Veeam Repo target and use immutable features ? Probably not cause it does rely on the XFS Filesystem ?

Or on XFS FS features that Synology provides ? Have you tried above yet ?

I mean S3 immutable Storage is available and is that XFS ? Dunno

cheers,

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey Chris,

do you think technically I can add a immunity enabled Synology Folder as a Veeam Repo target and use immutable features ? Probably not cause it does rely on the XFS Filesystem ?

Or on XFS FS features that Synology provides ? Have you tried above yet ?

I mean S3 immutable Storage is available and is that XFS ? Dunno

cheers,

Chris

I am not sure if you could do this and the only way to would be trying it.  I have always used XFS servers (Veeam Hardened Repo) for this part.  If you do try let me know as I am curious.

Comment