Skip to main content

Hi Everyone,

I posted a while back about some free sites that help you detect AI generated text.

There are also manual methods to detect it. I for one have noticed that the intros all tend to be very similar in structure and phrase use. Another aspect of AI generated text in English is the over use of “the”.

I am not against using AI as a tool but don’t think it is a good idea to create AI blogs and then claim authorship. I had a conversation with one AI expert this weekend who said that in the long run the people who stay real will win. As humans get more used to detecting AI it will get the “spam in a can” reputation and will become the mental fast food of the blog world, potentially with a warning from the Surgeon General “loss of brain cell risk if used excessively or consumed not in moderation” 🙂

He ventured on to say that it will be the same thing if and when humans start creating Androids (not the phones silly, but the human like robots). There you go would AI have the guts to calls it’s readers SILLY, no way, AI ain’t Irish!

Humans can be extremely annoying but the one thing you can’t take away from them is originality. Starting with fingerprints to the ability to make really dumb decisions based on the emotion of the moment. BUT you know what? I find humans much more interesting and life would be so much blander and  duller without them!

By the way humans can make mistakes and it is always a lot of fun to correct them. 

Here are the rules of the Veeam Community Hub:

Also some helpful sites in relation to AI manual detection:

https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/business/how-to-detect-ai-writing

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-spot-generative-ai-text-chatgpt/

Hi @Geoff Burke totally agree with you. Human experience has not been replaced. 

With all this AI coming out I still cannot seem to want to use it for my blogs.  My words are better and genuine.  Don't think I will use it ever for that. 

It definitely would help me write a fourth book faster but not sound genuine.  Totally agree with this.

I had never even considered using AI for blogging.  That said, maybe it would be useful for spicing things up a little, or rather, updating my posts to be a bit more compelling, but then again, it won’t sound like me.  Either way, it’s no replacement for the human element, at least until it’s training on my style of writing/speaking only.

… “Google's March 2024 Core Update deindexed hundreds of websites. it targeted low-quality content and AI-generated spam. Deindexed sites face significant consequences, losing organic search traffic and advertising revenue”, Ref: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/googles-march-2024-core-update-impact-hundreds-of-websites-deindexed/510981/

I find it unnatural and notice when co-workers use it instantly. 

It’s a great “Tool” to assist and saves me hours creating complex PowerShell scripts. I’ll then verify what it’s doing and modify things to my own taste.

Similar to an email, I’ll compose an email, see how AI treats it, then remodify it to sound like myself or a human if I chose to use it for this purpose. 

I imagine in a few years, AI will be able to train itself based on how you naturally type and you can say, “sound more like me, but slightly more professional” and this issue will be solved. 

It’s 100% not taking over at this point though. Just play around with AI photo generation for a while and see the interesting hallucinations you can create haha. 

I find it unnatural and notice when co-workers use it instantly. 

It’s a great “Tool” to assist and saves me hours creating complex PowerShell scripts. I’ll then verify what it’s doing and modify things to my own taste.

Similar to an email, I’ll compose an email, see how AI treats it, then remodify it to sound like myself or a human if I chose to use it for this purpose. 

I imagine in a few years, AI will be able to train itself based on how you naturally type and you can say, “sound more like me, but slightly more professional” and this issue will be solved. 

It’s 100% not taking over at this point though. Just play around with AI photo generation for a while and see the interesting hallucinations you can create haha. 

This. I find its great for helping me come up with a rough outline of how I want to approach a topic for a blog post, plus occasionally some help with titles, introductions, and conclusions, but the meat of the article is still mine and even what I have it produce I go through to revise and rephrase into my own words. It has also been great for scripting or asking basic questions instead of reading through a long tutorial. Especially Home Assistant YAMLs. ChatGPT has been a godsend for those.

For the hackathon, I’ve been relying on it a lot more than I usually would, but that comes down more to us just being a few volunteers with limited time who aren’t marketing experts. I figure something is better than nothing for some of the stuff I’m having it write (mainly social media promos). Even then, I still read through it all and give some revisions. Mainly to remove the spots where it sounds too “AI” (in conclusion anyone?) and to fix where it decides to derail from the information I gave it and make up its own things. For example, it tried to pitch several things we didn’t want on the agenda for the half-time show when I had it write the Discord event description.

Comment