Solved

I want to keep last 2 full backups made by Veeam Agent for Windows

• 28 December 2023
  • 2 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I’m a new Veeam Agent for Windows user and so far I loved it, just used it to backup and restore my system, went like a breeze!

So I set up weekly system drive backups and what I noticed is that the first backup was full, and the 2nd backup is incremental.

Can I set up the backup task so it will take weekly FULL backups and keep the last 2 full backups, deleting older ones?

icon

Best answer by HunterLAFR 28 December 2023, 11:32

View original

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Agent does not work the same as VBR where it will create incremental backups. You can specify retention settings to keep X restore points and set it to run a full weekly as well.

Check here for the appropriate version for explanation - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/retention.html?ver=60

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi,
I run a little test, and I see that from the Windows Agent (Independent and Free version)

you can schedule Daily, so you can setup the backuck to run daily, then, every day to perform a active full, and the retention policy I would suggest to setup into 3 days, and later on you can decide to keep it or modify it to 2 or so.

Just take into count, that all the backups will be full, so make sure you have enouth free space.

Other recommendation will be a 15 or 16 days retention, with a weekly active full (Saturdays or Sundays), so you will have a Full  → Incrementals  → Full → Incrementals, Etc.
The setup like this, will give you more restore points, and more flexibility, with less storage usage.

hope it helps.

Cheers.

Comment