How to install a YARA rule with Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

We’ve updated the Script Library section to include YARA rules. I’ve made a quick video (sorry for the cheesy graphics...) on how to install a YARA rule from this site and perform your first scan!

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing this, Rick.  I was about to ask if you were going to do a “how to” video for installing the rules.  😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Absolutely GREAT beginner ‘how-to’ vid on using these rules Rick. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for sharing this, Rick.  I was about to ask if you were going to do a “how to” video for installing the rules.  😋

Hahaha that’s funny. But I think that screen that has the scan needs some explanation and people just need to use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Oh and I didn’t want everyone to wait during the video, but here is the result of the scan:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Personally, I don’t like how the date is formatted after choosing the dates...can be confusing. And yeah...how you choose it is odd, but makes sense. I think the wording on those 2 dates could be changed to be more descriptive, like “Start from (today)” instead of Start Date; and “End Date (until)”, or something similar for the ‘End Date’.

Hopefully folks will read up on what each option is used for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh and I didn’t want everyone to wait during the video, but here is the result of the scan:

Cool! I forgot about even seeing the results! 😂😆

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hahaha that’s funny. But I think that screen that has the scan needs some explanation and people just need to use it.

Yeah, going to take some getting used to for sure.  Going to play in the homelab with these sample rules.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Excellent video and will really help everyone just starting out with Yara scans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Got them installed in the lab and testing.  Very interesting for sure.

Thanks for the video. Will there be an option later to run multiple YARA rules at the same time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for the video. Will there be an option later to run multiple YARA rules at the same time?

Hi Mike - it is not implemented currently (nor scan on multiple images). Both are feature requests on our side/internally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Oh and welcome to the Veeam Community @Mike Edwards - looks like your first comment here.

Comment