Solved

Question about re-initializing a tape

Userlevel 1

Hi all.. 

I’m still getting my feet wet with Veeam.. I had Veeam 11 installed and was playing around with it but wanted to start over due to reconfiguration of the server, adding more storage and whatnot.. 

Long story short, I uninstalled Veeam 11 and eventually installed v12 after eliminating the old config..

I’ve got the tape that I was using to test incremental backups and would like to use with the new setup but it refuses to write to it as it’s marked, I’m sure, by the old Veeam config.

What is the best way to mark the tape as “fresh” so it’ll be able to write to the tape again?  Right now Veeam is just sitting here telling me to insert a tape regardless of the fact that a tape is loaded.. 

TIA!

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 31 July 2023, 22:39

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just follow this page to mark the tape as Free for v12 to use - Marking Tapes as Free - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Right click on the tape and select Erased. Once you erased it you should be able to reuse it. If you have it protection set on the tape, first remove the tape protection and then erase.

Userlevel 1

Thank you both!  I was able to do what you suggested -- mark it as free and then erase afterwards.. it complained a little about not being able to get a lock on the drive but after playing around a little it started behaving.. I’ve got it doing a backup from file to tape right now and it seems to be working.  Thanks for the help!

Comment