Question

File to Tape selecting some immutable files

Userlevel 1

I have a Veeam repository on a Linux server that stores multiple backups in the same directory, for example: /veeam/backup. I cannot even copy the files stored in this repository to another directory for a period of time because immutability for 14 days is enabled. I want to configure a "File to Tape" job from my VBR server that runs weekly, sending only the files from the last 7 days that are in the repository mentioned.

What is the most automated way to accomplish this task?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Creating a file to tape job is the automated way. More reference - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_to_tape_jobs.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, being unable to copy backups doesn’t sound right, the point of immutability is you can read as many times as you want but only write once. So you should still be able to backup to tape.

Question, how comes you’re using files to tape instead of machine backup to tape? You can get Veeam to write all of your backups to tape as they come through instead of in a weekly batch

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just for two cents, I ran into a customer script that was copying out vbk files once a year, it worked before but when they changed their repo to immutable it stopped working. Mind you I did not investigate much because I told them better to stay away from things like that and let Veeam handle everything automatically. Also won’t file to tape jobs now get hit with that new License change? i.e they are treated like NAS backups so $$$$.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Also won’t file to tape jobs now get hit with that new License change? i.e they are treated like NAS backups so $$$$.

Veeam Backup files are automatically excluded from consuming such licenses. 

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Also won’t file to tape jobs now get hit with that new License change? i.e they are treated like NAS backups so $$$$.

Veeam Backup files are automatically excluded from consuming such licenses. 

Best,

Fabian

ah ok. So if I am doing a file to tape job but the files are .vbk and .vib then I am alright? That is very good to know. Thanks @Mildur 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Correct. All Veeam backup files are excluded from license consumption in File to Tape backup jobs. We have the complete list in our user guide:

Instance Consumption for NAS Backup and File to Tape Jobs - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Comment